How far away from residents to hunt?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

How far away from residents to hunt?

Postby Taylor95 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 am

Hello I am just wondering how far I need to be from homes to hunt the local lake? Found a lil mallard whole but near some houses, so wanted to make sure it wasn't too close. Thanks
Taylor95
hunter

Re: How far away from residents to hunt?

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Usually 200 yards but depends on where you are hunting, look on the dnr website. Im pretty sure if you are more than 300 yards then you are good no matter where you are are
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby SCH2OFOWLER » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Depends on what body of water. In DNR rules and regulations it will specify.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
SCH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby Stump Jumper #1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Not trying to be a smart ass like they are over on SCDUCKS. But if you have to ask how close is to close, you might not want to hunt there. Besides the mallards are probably tamies, dock mallards, bread lips! Know what I mean???
Stump Jumper #1
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm

The infamous dock duck haha Not that you should try and set up in someones front yard, but if you get the chance to kill greenheads :hammer: them. If you are trying to hunt dock ducks or resident ducks that are going to or close to a house, I would go ahead and give up. Dock ducks are usually impossible to call, I dont care what you sound like or what decoys you have. They know exactly where they are going and thats that. Find some ducks away from houses. Its kind of like people hunting along the dikes of private plantations on the coast. You can sky bust and maybe knock one down but they aint even gonna look at your dekes. Best bet is to scout far away from plantations and houses, there will probably be much fewer but the ones you do see, you can actually work and decoy.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting