need some help with regs

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

need some help with regs

Postby desalvo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey,

I just moved to Charleston from upstate NY. I have hunted my whole life in the finger lakes and a little on the great lakes. This is the first season i havent been out for as long as i can remember. I have a ton of questions about the regulations down here. I have read the regulations about ten times so telling me to do so again probably wont help. I had to bail on a trip to Bass Pro yesterday where i hoped to get a little info. In NY we have "state land" which is land owned by the state of NY and when one purchases a hunting or fishing license- they are entitled to hunt/fish there. Upstate NY has literally hundreds of thousands of acres specifically for this. Most if not all lakes and river systems are surrounded by state land. The water itself is state land (so technically people can pull up in a boat next to someone elses dock and hunt from their own boat) it doesnt happen but thats the situation. So my first question is- are WMA's similar to state land? If i found a WMA am i allowed to bring my boat, load in and shoot ducks? I have completely given up on the "lottery hunts".. We have similar hunts in NY where the Wildlife refugee's will let you draw a blind in the refuge. so its pretty straight forward (im not going to win a hunt) haha. My only other question is- is there any public/state owned land where a person can go hunt. or is it only WMA's and private land? It riddles me with disbelief the amount of water down here and how hard its regulated when it comes to hunting. fishing on the other hand is the exact opposite. If there weren't slot limits on a few species it would be a free for all. So if i found a public boat launch on a random piece of water- lets say somewhere around the ACE basin (just as an example) can i go on the water and get some hunting in??

Someone please give me some advice here. I have about 12 dozen deeks, a boat, kayak, dozens of calls, etc. in the garage collecting dust. My 5 (probably more like 20) year plan consists of buying some hunting property. but until then i am at the mercy of this states public land availability.
desalvo
hunter

Re: need some help with regs

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 pm

WMA's here work pretty much the same. Some have different rules than others but that's pretty much how it works. Same for the lakes. Some rules differ from lake to lake so know where you are and the rules for that area.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 am

i hunt around there. a lot of public water to hunt as well as a lot of hunters. Some of the wma lands you cannot access unless your drawn. Some are only on certain days. Biggest thing is to make sure you not hunting on someones property. dnr website has a lot of maps to get you started. feel free to pm me questions and ill help you best i can
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby POOR_MAN_IN_RICH_MANS_SPORT » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 pm

remember that you need a WMA permit to hunt on them. it is an additional $35 on top of your license and duck stamps.
POOR_MAN_IN_RICH_MANS_SPORT
hunter

Postby desalvo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Im aware of the WMA permits. It seems most are class 1 or 2 WMAs and the chance of me drawing a hunt there are slim. I would definitely take off a wednesday and hunt on some of the class 2's but im hearing theyre so crowded it kinda takes the joy away. (ppl could be BSing and just want me away from the WMA though haha) i dont do much deer hunting anymore so WMA hunting is not really my thing. I dont mind donating money to the states conservation departments but the way these lotterys and WMA's work- guys are telling me 3+ years to get drawn... thats 35x3 plus these new taxes on wma's plus duck stamp etc.... thats like over 200 dollars to (at best) get a couple limits of ducks... if i want a limit that bad ill spend 300 on a plane ticket and go visit my family in NY where my buddies have been doing all the scouting for me :lol:

i appreciate the help. ive been contacted by a few very reasonable and knowledgable people and i am starting to understand the system. SC duck hunters arent as bad as there cracked up to be ... U should meet some musky fishermen from NY, now they are some B@STARDS :beer:
desalvo
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Nobodies feeding you crap about the WMAs being loaded with people. That's a very well know fact here in SC. Lots of hunters and very little birds depending on where you are.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Stump Jumper #1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

The WMA's are really only crowded on Saturdays. Not during the week. Yes you can put in at any landing down in the ACE. The water ways are all public. Just don't get up on the land anywhere down there. A good bit of the public hunting WILL be crowded down that way on Saturdays also. Good luck.
Stump Jumper #1
hunter

Postby Frenchna » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I am a new resident to the state as well. I have found the regs overly complicated to read through as well. There are plenty of public places to go but are any open on Sundays ? Lake Marion ? Lake Moultrie ?
Frenchna
Newb

Postby UpSouth811 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

most of the lakes you can hunt 7 days a week...but a few have restrictions to days...dnr website will have all the info on the lakes...just make sure the lake you on u not in a restricted wma
UpSouth811
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting