Need advice on mud motors

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Need advice on mud motors

Postby Duckedo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 am

I'm moving to Moncks Corner and am planning on getting a boat for the shallows. I have always hunted the eastern shore of Virginia and Maryland and never had the need for a mud motor so I'm basically an idiot when it comes to them. I have an 18 foot Jon boat that I plan on using and I want a reliable motor that will move it along pretty good when I need it too but I want the ability to go where ever I need to go to find the ducks. I will find my own birds so I'm not asking for any spots or anything, I duck hunted long enough to know better than to ask. I just don't know what brand, size, type I need. Any help would be appreciated.
Duckedo
hunter

Re: Need advice on mud motors

Postby Woodiewacker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm a bit south of monks, around here with the huge tidal swings(7-8ft) a mud motor is less important than having a bit smaller boat that doesn't draw much water to get in and around the tiny creeks and ditches...I knows around here if they catch you chewing up the marsh grass with a mud motor they will have your *** . A boat that big depending on draw and setup is great for divers in the big water...and some river hunting..most guys run 14-16 ft boats with outboards on em and we all get around pretty easily...burn some fuel to learn the ever changing channels and where the mud and sand bars are and your boat will be just fine ...my .02$
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby COOP3 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree, a mud motor is kinda of pointless down here. Ive seen guys use em on the coast but they never got anywhere that I wanted to go and couldnt. Sure they help when your stuck at low tide and your boat is beached but outboards seem to be the way to go. Especeially with an 18 ft boat, I dont know how much having a mud motor would help. But, like woodie wacker said, could be a great diver/river set up.
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
COOP3
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice. Like I said I don't really know what to expect on the cooper or in the lake. I have a long shank outboard for the boat so I may just use that. I also have a 24 foot center console that I use for near shore fishing. Is that too much boat for lake moultrie.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I would think thatboats too big for any lake other than the hreat lakes ! I have a 19.5 cc i useforsaltwater fishing...honsetly here on the coast itsjon boats for river hunting with 25 hp outboards and here in beaufort anything from a 16 ft to a 24 ft cc will getyou into anythingyouwould want to...pm me in march andplan on comingdown for an inshore cobia trip...put 20 in the boat this past spring during the run..
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Duckedo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm

That sounds great. I will definitely give you a PM when it gets close.
Duckedo
hunter

Postby Stump Jumper SC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm

A good friend of mine sells Mudbuddys in Moncks Corner. He's on facebook. Look up "lowcountry Mudbuddy. He'll do ya right!
Stump Jumper SC
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting