Gun of Choice?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Gun of Choice?

Postby CarolinaCustom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:38 am

Just wondering, but what is everyones gun of choice? I just retired the old 870 and went with the new Beretta Xtrema about a year and a half ago. Absolutely amazing gun. What name brand and shot do ya'll like as well. I've been shooting the Heavy Shot with good results.
CarolinaCustom
hunter

Postby smokinpole » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:59 am

I would have to go with the 870 xpress. Very reliable well rounded gun. never have heard any real complaints about the gun. I shoot a Berreta ES100 pintail now and have had a few minor problems with the gun cycling the shells and had to send it back. Can't wait till friday!
smokinpole
hunter

Postby smokinpole » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:39 pm

carolina, you huntin greenwood on friday. i noticed you had scouted it last friday?
smokinpole
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:36 pm

i shoot remington almost exclusively. mainly an 11-87 special purpose but also take an 870 out occassionally. a little side note - on a quail hunt the other day i shot 13 for 14 with my father's A-500g Browning...:) it's mighty tempting to stray from the 11-87 after feeling that gun work.
shrpshtr
hunter

Guns

Postby CarolinaCustom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 pm

I wouldn't trade my Remington. It would take a beating. The Beretta is great but is kinda picky for light target loads. I guess it can be since it's made for the 3.5". I'm gonna prob. pass on Greenwood friday and head else where. Gonna head out tomorrow and sneak around some more in another spot. We shall see. Oh, and to get some opinions, I'm in turmoil with my hunting buddy over weither or not to take my new dog. She's a year old yellow lab, who has the maturity of a 5 year old dog. I wasn't gonna work her much but she is, in my opinion, fairly good. Atleast she will go find um when we shoot them. She may not do a 300 yd blind retrieve but if she can see it or smell it it's hers. Now the only problem, she's almost snow white. I figured she'd be somewhat hidden or in the blind so it wouldn't stand out to bad, but what do ya'll think?? Oh no chance for a vest either. Thanks for the input. Good Luck Friday.
CarolinaCustom
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:42 am

carolina,

i would take her. even if she stuck out like a sore thumb. if she'll heel and lay down at your feet that shouldn't be much of an issue until it's too late anyway. if immaturity is his concern, i never saw a dog that learned how to hunt properly without spending time in the field...just remind him of that.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:22 am

Take the dog. Mine is just where you say yours is right now. You never can get enough training with your dog. If your partner is the prob then maybe he needs to hunt with someone else, but any decent dog that listens is ok im my blind any day. Yall have a good one of Fri you lucky dogs I have to work the whole weekend on day shift so no go for me until Mon.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting