How to improve upon last years hunt

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

How to improve upon last years hunt

Postby Modified_Choking » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:13 am

My wife and I head to Charleston area for either Thanksgiving or Xmas each year; we do the holiday trade-off thing. Last year I tried the Low Country for the first time. I got a 3 day pass and had a great time of it. I went to two different spots:

1.) I spent my first 2 days on the West Branch of the Cooper. I launched out of Pimlico and made my way up-river a touch in the old rice flats.

2.) I spent my last day on the Ashepoo River launching at Brickyard Ferry (near Bear Island WMA) and headed a little down river to the first bend that turns south towards the big oxbow.

Not being from the erea I thought I did pretty good.

While on the WB Cooper I heard many shots up river and could only hope whatever birds were up there would come down to me. Unfortunately they didn't.

While on the Ashepoo, I heard shots to the east on the Edisto (or somewhere in between). About a minute later, what seemed to be at least a hundred birds came right over me in a few waves. Looked to be a mixed bag of Woodies, Gadwall, and maybe Teal. I didn't harvest anything but ripped off a bunch of shots.

I plan to try again this year here in a few weeks. My biggest issue is that I do not have a power or mud boat that I can bring down - rather a canoe.
When it came to the WB Cooper, launching at Pimlico seemed to be just a bit too close to houses for the birds and a bit too much for me to paddle upstream. And as for the Ashepoo, the current was my biggest concern; getting back to the launch. As you locals know, the tide swings can be significant and so can the current.

We will be staying on John's Isl. this year and as you can see, I don't mind traveling a bit to get to a spot. I understand you boys do that as a matter of fact all the time. I plan to bring the canoe again this year but was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer any thoughts suggestions on how I could modify my plans this year. One thing I was thinking about was launching at Penny Creek and floating to Willtown Bluff.

Thanks for any input.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 pm

If your only option is a canoe, I'd suggest heading farther up the Edisto, and do a float trip for Wood ducks.

If the wind is not blowing, you can also try Spiers landing on Lake Marion.
There are some islands within 1/4 mile of the landing that you can get some wood duck shooting around. You may get lucky and even see a few mallards.

No way I'd try Cooper river, Ashepoo, Combahee in a canoe!

Stay in touch here, and I'll try to help you out if I can...
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks for the reply...I'll check some mapping and look at your suggestions.
Modified_Choking
hunter

hey

Postby swampfox3006 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:05 pm

yeah man pennys creek is very good for floating down in a canoe ull get some shots on some woodies but thats a long way back wo will town from there definetly try further up on the edisto me and my cuz hunt from willtown all the way to up pass jelicos not alot of birds around there anymore but u can still get some shots off
swampfox3006
Newb

Postby Modified_Choking » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Swampfox3006 - Thanks for the reply. I just got back from SC on Sunday. As it turns out, I drove over to Penny's Creek and Willtown Bluff to check it out last Tuesday when all the snow and rain was falling. Not having any opportunity to float it ahead of my 3-day pass I chose not to try it alone.

I focused my efforts up in Pimlico which was still achallenge enough coming from out of state.

Santeerangerman - I also checked out your upper Edisto suggestion...drove last Tuesday in the sleet to the various launches between Highway 15 (near Canadys) downstream to Givhans Ferry State Park. Once again, I was in a tough spot in that I was hunting alone. While I had a 30 lb thrust trolling motor rigged on the canoe, I was alone and didn't trust floating downstream alone on the Edisto...if I got too far down it would be a long walk back up 64 or 61 oh I forget.

But, to both of you...thanks for the suggestions. I sure did enjoy getting out for a drive in the country with my wife and kids. Life is just so unfair. SC has some real nice places. It's unfortunate one can't live in multiple places at the same time. Willtown Bluff reminds me a lot of where my uncle lives in a family home of ours that pre-dates the 'War of Northern Agression' as some like to say; big wrap-around porches overlooking the river.

And...to any of you who saw me at Pimlico, thanks for your input as well. Thanks for sharing your little piece of paradise. BOL!!!
Modified_Choking
hunter

pennys creek

Postby swampfox3006 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:14 am

yeah pennys creek would of been the ticket for ya catch the incoming tide float in and then when it turns float back out real easy to navigate just some limbs here and there we r going down this weekend to clear out a fallen tree down there yeah me and my cousin limited out on wooducks and killed 1 green wing teal thanksgiving weekend, i wish i would of know i would of showed ya the way but u definetly need to check it out.
swampfox3006
Newb

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting