sc 1st season

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

sc 1st season

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:59 pm

how did everyone do during the 1st season this year?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby oldduckhunter » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Two geese that flew right over me first thing in the morning on opening day. One mallard about an hour later. Saw maybe 8-10 woodies and 6 or so mallards and one large group of teal. My little known place was covered up with trucks when I got there and yep, you guessed it, most of them were sky busters. Group of 4 mallards were working and some moron just had to take a pop shot when they flew over his spread about 100 yards in the air.

Shot two woodies on Thanksgiving day. Saw maybe 6 or so woodies fly by around sun up. Nothing else.
oldduckhunter
hunter

Postby panthersfan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:53 am

We got 2 woodies wednesday and friday we got a few GW teal but there is so many people skybusting. Its horrible some of the shots i saw get taken. Thats right i said saw because this one group of guys sat like 100 yds from me across the river and you could see them as clear as day. some people need to have some sense knocked into them.

Oldduck,

Where are you hunting? i mean what part of the state.
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby oldduckhunter » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 am

I'm in the Upstate, which is by far the worst place to hunt on a regular basis in the entire state.

I hunted in Spartanburg on Wed and went to Saluda near Lake Murray on Thurs.

I feel for you when it comes to sky busters. We don't have a lot of birds around here and when some of them actually start working and looking for a place to decoy it really makes me angry when someone sky busts birds. There were 5 or 6 groups hunting on Wed and honestly I wouldn't have cared one bit if the birds had landed in someone else's decoys....just don't shoot at them when they are 10 miles high.
oldduckhunter
hunter

Postby oldduckhunter » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:06 am

One other comment. When I was hunting Wed I had some guys up the river from me. It sounded like WWII. When they came back to the landing they had one stinking wood duck. I swear they shot 25 times. That should tell you something. Me and my two buddies shot 5 times between us and killed two geese and a mallard. And we are not great shooters....
oldduckhunter
hunter

Postby panthersfan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:18 pm

I agree 100%. Not to mention i couldnt afford to go if i shot a box of shells for 1 bird. Thats some expensive hunting. I wonder how so many people out there shoot these kents and etc at $25 dollars a box and shoot 2 or so boxes a day easy. Down here that is no exageration we hunt off the side of a WMA land and the birds fly back and forth all morning and these guys shoot at them 100++ yards out.
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:27 pm

All of this are the reasons I have all but quit hunting here.
It's pathetic.

The last time I hunted here, I had some jackass run his boat RIGHT THRU the middle of my dekes!!!! I was hunting on the upper lake. There were 4 of them in a 14ft Jon-boat. They set up about 100 yrds from us. They paid no attention to our lights, or us hollering at them. These same world class
hunters proceded to shoot a seagull that ventured over their decoys.

And we wonder why S.C. hunters are so hated in places like Arkansas.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 pm

i am with you santee, i don't even bother going out for the opener. it's a joke around here. after the "newness" of the season wears off a little, i'll probably try a couple spots on a weekday. it's not worth it any other time.

another to add to the hatred list...4 guys came to the landing with 34 ducks on opening morning. (yeah, the math doesn't add up) how i wish a warden would have been there. :pissed:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:58 pm

It's really sad you know.
Part of me want's to take some of these younger guys who are just starting out, and just don't know any better, under my wing and teach them proper ediquitte, and how to really hunt. But then the other part of me says to just mind my own business. Some of the jackasses are older than me, and I've been duck hunting nearly 40 years.

Last year I said that was it, I'll never duck hunt here again, and I still haven't bought my S.C. stamp.

My trips to Arkansas may be the only time I break out my duck calls this year. And that will only be in a private ricefield.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:28 pm

10-4 santee. i hunt with some friends in a club up on the chesapeke every year and i usually try to make a trip or two to arkansas each year when time permits.

duck hunting is still new enough for me to put up with a lot of junk to hunt. i have only been duck hunting for 7 or 8 years at the most. i do love it so. i won't jeopardize safety though and that's one of the biggest complaints i have about a lot of the numbnutts around here.

whereabouts in arkansas are you hunting? usually when i go it's up around walnut ridge/paragould/jonesboro areas. i have been as far south as Dumas one time when they were froze up hard. maybe we can find a day or two sometime this year and slip into a little whole and see what flys by together.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby oldduckhunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:57 am

Times have changed fellas. Anyone with a john boat, a box of decoys from ****'s, a shotgun, and cable TV thinks they are world class hunters. It's no longer a gentleman's past time. It's more of a "me" type attitude and a "screw you" mentality. There was a time when I could go out on the water and actually see some birds work and shots were not fired until the birds locked up (from me or anyone else in the area). There have been times in the past that other hunters who had already set up in a good spot would ask me to join them as I passed by and we actually hunted together. I've hunted in the same place on opening day for the past 20 years and in the past there were never more than two other boats at the landing. This year there were 14 boats. From all the shooting I thought everyone was slaying the birds but me. When I got back the game warden told me he had checked 32 hunters and between them he had counted 8 ducks and 3 geese. By my estimation that is one bird per 12 shots.

I have some property on Lake Murray and earlier this year (back in mid October) I watched 300-400 birds fly in and roost in a little cove along my property. I watched them three or four times and every time I couldn't believe my eyes. I've never seen that many birds in my life, not even in Arkansas. Groups of 20 at a time. On opening day evening I watched two groups of hunters shoot well past legal shooting time as the birds came in. They were set up a little too far from the actual landing area but they still tried to sky bust them as they came in. Needless to say my hunt was ruined and the birds haven't been back since. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
oldduckhunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 am

Went opening day to a private swamp pond for some woodies. Have not had time to go again and did not feel like messing with the idiots on opening day in most cases.

Headed to Arkansas Thursday-Sunday this week and hope for a good turnout.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:45 am

you ought to burn them up SC. good luck and let us know how it goes.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I sure hope so, im in need of a good duck fix :getdown:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby triplebeard » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 am

I'm with you guys. I've duck hunted for about 8 years now and it frustrates me when I see the sky busters and idiots that take shots they know are out of their range. I know my limits and I'm content just to see birds anymore. Sure I'd love to bag a limit (which I've never done), but what happened to just enjoying the outdoors and spending time with good friends in the blind with a hot cup of coffee before sun-up? I have one duck hunting partner (other than my three little girls) who lives in St. Matthews and I live in Saluda so we don't hunt together much. I do enjoy the scenery that Santee has to offer, but it's a long way to shoot two wood ducks!
You gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!
triplebeard
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting