Dog vest

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Dog vest

Postby SCduckhunter9312 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am

Ive been looking for a vest for my dog but I'd like to have one that acts as a flotation divice for the dog also does anyone no of any brands all I can find is neoprene
SCduckhunter9312
hunter

Re: Dog vest

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:34 am

One big negative for a neoprene vest is the dog getting cold. Lots of people buy neoprene vest thinking it will help warm them up but neoprene does not really provide insulation. When dogs get out the water they shake and are quickly pretty dry which warms them up fairly quick. Neoprene vest however prevent them from shaking the water off and it holds that cold water in there fur which leaves them pretty cold. A man argued this point with me talking about people wearing wetsuits but wetsuits and dog vest are completely different and the way a dog and person warms there body is completely different. The only non neoprene vests I have seen do not have floatation and are usually made for upland bird dogs. I would buy one of the canvas chest protector vest and just rig up some flotation on the straps over the back or something. Just watch out for your dog getting to cold. Its like this, if you fall in and get wet, whats warmer, wearing a soaking wet shirt, or no shirt?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Dog vest

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am

Avery moat definitely does make a neoprene vest with flotation in it. Its called the boaters vest. Has two big floats that hug the dogs back with a handle to pick the dog up with. This is the one I plan on buying when my girl gets back from the trainer.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting