How's everyones season going??

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

How's everyones season going??

Postby CarolinaCustom » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:00 pm

Just wondering how everyone is doing? I'm not doing much at all. I've been working one of our many family ponds with little success. Went to another smaller one yesterday to work the dog and had roughly 10 black and a mess (25) junker ducks with a few woodies flying late in the day. Didn't hunt it though.
Also, do any of ya'll preplant the area prior to the season? I need to redo the dam of a few of our ponds and was going to put a flood gate on them to regulate the water level. If so when and what do ya'll plant? Thanks for the info, good luck and have fun out there.
Jonathan
CarolinaCustom
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:32 am

Well Jonathan there is nothing going on here at all. We still have some more holes we are going to go hit for the end of the season, but for the most part we have not done a thing. The ducks are around but not as many and when they are flying good everyone picks that day to come hunt. It would be ok if everyone hunted the same or acted right but there are always one or two in every bunch that mess things up. I’m so tired of these people I don’t know what else to do. I’m to the point maybe I will just go out and pretend to hunt and watch for these idiots and wait for their next move and place them in custody until I get the warden there. O for the most part I have been hunting a nice small pond just waiting for a good day (for ducks) but its worth being out there with the dog and whoever goes with me anyway.

Chad
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smokinpole » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:09 pm

not going well at all, if i had to sum it up it would have to be like sh%#. Have n't even shot the gun yet. Seen birds just can't seem to get them in. one highlight though, saw a pintail on hartwell the day before christmas. Went out this past Sat. to TRY and hunt but was unable to because the water level was so low at greenwood could'nt get the boat in. Going to try again this Weekend, with a little luck I might get a shot off. Would like to make it down to santee this season, would you guys have any input, maybe you lowcountry boys could email me with some hints. good luck.
smokinpole
hunter

Sucky day

Postby CarolinaCustom » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Well went out this morning and had a great time, lots of woodies flying and a few green heads. We decided to take my buddies little @zz jon boat instead of my duck boat, and all was well until my friend made a wierd move coming in and we took on water in the rear. Luckly the water wasn't too deep and we could stand up, so I grabbed my gun and was looking for what else was missing. About that time, I see my "guaranteed to float" duck bag floating away and sinking rapidly. It went under to never be found again. Well then I find out my buddy can't find his shotgun. We never find it along with some other stuff. All in all I prob. lost $500 worth of stuff. Can't say as much for him. Atleast I got my ducks and gun. We were lucky, it could have been January weather. Makes you think.
CarolinaCustom
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:15 pm

:eek: man yeah be glad its kinda warm. Hate that happened to yall.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fatguy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:45 pm

As you can see Lake Murray is the place to be boys
Fatguy
hunter

Seasons been so so.

Postby roughboner69 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:19 pm

I've killed some mallards here and there on the upper lake. A bunch of divers. I'm goin on a plantation hunt this weekend...bunch of pintails and black ducks. I'm gettin a pintail mounted that i killed last week. The sprig on that thing was almost 10 inches long...real beautiful bird.
roughboner69
hunter

Wood Duck

Postby CarolinaCustom » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:52 pm

Is there anyone ya'll would recommend for a good wood duck mount? Is there any certain way ya'll like to have them mounted? I usually see them sitting but not really flying. It's a really really fat one and I think it would look good sitting. Thanks for the info.
CarolinaCustom
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:12 am

Got up today and said heck no :pissed: The wind was blowing in the upper 20 almost 30 MPH in spots. We decided to let um have this day and not try and fight those winds and waters. One week left something has got to happen here.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Saturdays hunt!!!

Postby roughboner69 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:28 am

I hunted Salt Point Plantation this weekend, which is on the Cooper River, and did a pretty good jop in the rice fields. I killed 2 ringers, 1 wigeon, 1 green-wing, and 2 mallard drakes. I guess you could say that wasn't bad at all. I'm hunting it again this weekend. And if you'll are wondering how I get to hunt this place, my Godfather owns part of it. I've only had a few good hunts this year, two of them were on the plantation. Hint: I've only been there twice. So, every time I go I have a great hunt and limit out.
roughboner69
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:07 pm

Way to go Rough.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

1/22/05

Postby deepstep » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:00 pm

yeah we tried em this weekend, me and scoutdoorsman, and another friend, killed a coot for the dog, and smoked a crow that got too close, that new benelli SC got for his birthday did a number on him, saw a few wodies, and several flights of geese, of course we left the goose blocks at the house....anyway...we also played qbeam wars with about 6 other boats that rolled through after we had been there an hour, we even had to yell at some guys and ask them if the ywanted to use our decoys since they were so close anyway?????? geeez :thumbsdown:

deepstep
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting