Tips for small water ducks

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Tips for small water ducks

Postby Boykinboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 pm

What should I look for while scouting small waters to determine if ducks will be flying over or landing? I'll be hunting potholes and ponds in the swamp and such. Its hard to narrow down what hole I wanna be in when the swanos full of em! I'll be hunting public land in game zone 6. What can I do to maximize my success once I find where the ducks are landing
Boykinboy
hunter

Re: Tips for small water ducks

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 pm

All woodies I'm guessing? Hunt the edges, bounce around and don't shoot out the holes. After you have hunted all the edges go to the middle. That's only if its a really big swamp. If its small, just hunt em.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Btw that tip is only saying there's actually birds using the entire swamp. You obviously need to be on the x, but if the whole swamp is the x them take the route of most hunts possible without totally shooting out the holes
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby greenbean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Start scouting now, you may surprised at what is down here and keep an eye on em. Use binoculars and if youre in a boat, cut the motor off often and listen. Im afraid though, you will not be alone so always have alternatives. If you are one of those who sleeps in the hole, you dont have to worry about me...
greenbean
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting