just getting started...

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

just getting started...

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:20 am

hey all,

i absolutely love duck hunting. unfortunately, the only opportunities i have is when i take a trip. i have been to arkansas a few times and this year i went to maryland and absolutely loved it (mainly for the geese). the more i waterfowl hunt, the more i want to. i would like to start trying to create some local opportunities so i can do it more often. i am pretty overwhelmed with how to get started though. i know i will need a bunch of gear, etc. but i don't really know everything i will need and more importantly where i can go locally (in SC). i have been 1 time @ Santee and only saw 1 canvasback hen. any suggestions, tips, advice, gear recommendations, etc. anyone has would be a huge help to me.

i hate being the new guy trying to get involved with something like this....thanks in advance.
shrpshtr
hunter

Gear

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:30 am

I have one secret for aquiring gear...I really hate to let it out...lol. The last few years many hunter's seasons have been less than desirable...check out ebay for those deals that come from the guys that give up and sell off all their gear. This past fall I got 4 dozen decoys with a couple of brand new condition bags for a total of 70 bucks!!! :thumbsup:
By the way...We were all new to the sport at one time...no shame in that!
Good luck and good huntin! The next time you plan a trip to Arkansas come by the Arkansas forum or PM me...maybe I can help you out in some way! :smile:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:09 pm

shrpshtr where in SC are you?
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:11 pm

i live in sumter. about 30 miles east of columbia.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:50 am

does anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations/etc.? tia...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:52 pm

shrp im about a hour away from columbia on the savannah river. I have been trying to get free from work to do some more hunts before the season is over. We just had a large train wreck killing 9 people of chlorine gas so me and my hunting partner Deepstep have not gone in weeks. Maybe we can get something going real soon and meet up.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:12 pm

man, i heard about that train wreck. what a mess. sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

i appreciate the invite. just let me know if you can work it out. i think it'd be cool to meet up with y'all. thanks.

i'll pm you with me phone number and email addy.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby smokinpole » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:32 am

fellers,

maybe we could all meet up & hunt. Im trying to plan a trip for the last weekeed of hunting. Haven't found anyone yet. let me know.
smokinpole
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:48 am

smokinpole wrote:fellers,

maybe we could all meet up & hunt. Im trying to plan a trip for the last weekeed of hunting. Haven't found anyone yet. let me know.

say when and where, i am game...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:09 pm

one last time...anybody?
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting