Public Land Rules

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Public Land Rules

Postby COOP3 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:49 pm

I do most of my hunting on public land and every single year I have to deal with 100 a**holes and even more idiots that don't understand common courtesy. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that people want to get into the waterfowling lifestyle and I'm all for those people getting their chance to have a great hunt. But, if everybody followed a few basic rules everybody would be better off and our hunts would be more enjoyable. SC is a state with more hunters than ducks but a little courtesy could go a long way this season. I got this from a magazine called Waterfowl & Retriever so its not my 11 rules but they could sure help if everybody followed them.

1. He who gets there first, hunts there first.
A lot of seasoned local hunters feel like they have the right to show up 30 min before shooting time and run you off. The fact is, every tax payer owns that land and has the right there and an out of state newbie has the same right to hunt there as the old local. If they got there first, find another spot.

2. Know the blind laws.
Public blinds are legal in a lot of areas in state but, they are open to the public. If you build a blind and got beat there, tough luck.

3. Keep your distance and avoid cutting off.
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I'm pretty sure most areas here have a law of 200 yrds distance between hunters. Keep in mind, you could also be hunting a funnel that may cut somebody off down river of you. Don't be an a**hole.

4. Don't call at or shoot someone else's swings.
If somebody is working a group of ducks, just shut up. Your not a pro duck caller and its a d**k move. Even worse, shooting at a group that someone else is working. Just don't act surprised when that guy comes to give you a piece of his mind at the boat ramp after you shot the group of greenheads he was working.

5. If you're late, don't mess up other peoples hunt.
So you had too much to drink at the hunting lodge last night? Tough sh*t. Now you should deal with the fact that all the good spots are taken. Don't ride around running through other's decoy spreads and throwing wake on em while they're trying to hunt.

6. And speaking of calling...
Like I said, you're probably not Antonio Jones so shut up the high balling after you've tried it on 10 groups in the clouds. It's annoying.

7. Observe boat ramp courtesy.
Get to the boat ramp get your boat in the water or out (whatever the case is) and get out the way. Unpack your crap later and throw your waders off when you get in the parking lot. Should be common sense.

8. Keep your dog in check
Dogs can be annoying or useful, really depending on their obedience training. If your dogs a pup that still learning or just stubborn, just keep in mind not all hunters are best friends with "Drake" or "Deke" whatever common name you probably gave him.

9. DON'T DON'T DON'T SKY BUST!!!!
If anybody reads any rule, please read and abide this one. Please... This has got to be the death of SC duck hunting. After 2 or 3 weeks of this crap and we can't get a hood to light. Theses ducks aren't stupid and if your doing nothing but teaching them, then they're gonna do nothing but learn. Call em in close. A great hunter once told me, "The best duck hunter is the one who can get the ducks in the closest." If they're flying high that day, just deal with it and save the rest of us some more good shoots.

10. Don't brag on the internet.
Don't shoot your limit then post it on facebook, twitter, or even this forum, along with the location. Idiot. You're screwing your self and everybody else that hunts in that area. Just keep it too yourself. This isn't a game of numbers, believe it or not.

11. If someone shows you, keep it quiet.
This one is simple. If your buddy takes you to his honeyhole, don't take your buddies the next day, or week, or month. I know this is public land and everyone has the right there like I said earlier. True, and I'm not a hypocrite. I just believe people should do there own homework and scouting to find these spots.

Sound fair? Hope yall have a great season.
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
COOP3
hunter

Re: Public Land Rules

Postby scdiver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 am

Great post, I would add don't jump ducks and call it scouting.

I wonder when DNR will start enforcing the harassing waterfowl law. We would hold so many more ducks in SC if the ducks were not jumped every thirty minutes by irresponsible use of mud motors, bass boats, and super skinny running flats boats.

And if we could get everybody who hunts to read and follow these rules.

Thanks again.
scdiver
hunter

Postby COOP3 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 am

No problem, have any other states made waterfowl harassment laws? I'm curious as to how they would be implemented.
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
COOP3
hunter

Postby scdiver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 am

That is the gray area, currently our law states it is illegal to hunt birds that have been driven, rallied or stirred up by powered vehicle. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/migratorybir ... rview.html
scdiver
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting