Opening Day Santee

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Opening Day Santee

Postby JFord56 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Me - my son - and hunt buddy from work hit the upper lake for the opener. Put in at Stumphole - lots of people as usual. We got the same spot we did well in last year but, the water was about 1.5' higher and way less vegetation. Warm - calm wind - and skeeters out! Had a couple sprinkles and one good shower of rain. Had to hunt 3 out of my 14' jon boat as it was too deep to wade. Heard hundreds fly over early. Saw a good many big flocks but, all up high going pond to pond. Ringnecks - woodies - gadwalls - some mallards. Pretty fair amount of shots at woodies early. Then it slowed down a lot. Most of the shooting on west side of the lake. No where near as much shooting as last year. Still plenty of skybusting! :fingerpt: There were a handfull of boats that left 7:30 to 8:00? We had four shots all morning. Two single woodies - one pair - and a single gadwall. Two of them thru the cypress trees. Killed one woodie and lost him in the crested heart. Not a good performance but, we prefer to stand when we shoot. I gave it a 1 out of ten for openers. Nice day on the water but, the hunting not so nice. Now if this cold continues things should pick up nicely. :wink:
JFord56
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting