New Duck Club

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

New Duck Club

Postby QuackAddict2013 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Is there anyone interested in joining a duck club? I am trying to start one up. I am from Columbia SC and want to hunt all over the state. Just looking for people who love to duck hunt like I do. If anyone wants to let me know!
QuackAddict2013
hunter

Re: New Duck Club

Postby Grebe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 am

People are so secretive about their spots, im thinking would have to be a close knit group. Id be interested to hunt with somone, I always go solo. Lowcountry here.
Grebe
Newb

Postby mark29860 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Count me in
mark29860
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Solo out of beaufort here...willing to travel
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby rrconductor » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 pm

I live in the upstate, but was in one in G'town years back living on the coast. I would be interested in a conversation, also have a hunting pard that would be .
rrconductor
hunter

Postby Grebe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 am

lets wait and see if we have anyone else sign in this weekend, then exchange info after this weekend. maybe we can get a couple people to travel with boats and others can board. everyone have facebook?
Grebe
Newb

Postby BurninPowder » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Like the idea but in my experience this usually doesn't end well. As secretive as we are about our hunting locations and techniques most people are reluctant to reveal anything. In the event that they do, the first time someone is in a "spot" that they were "shown" without the original guide, it sets off a fire storm and typically dissolves the group and creates hard feelings. But I do concede that, done right (always hunting in a neutral location, with all participants having a flexible attitude) this could be a great idea. Good luck and my door is always open!
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby QuackAddict2013 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Whether it is a neutral spot or a honey hole it doesn't matter to me. I know a few spots that I am willing to show some people. I usually hunt with one other person and that is just becasue my boat is in the shop right now. I am just trying to find some new people to hunt with. I believe that it would be a good idea and a fun time to hunt all over the state. If you would like to try and get something started you can dm me if you would like.
QuackAddict2013
hunter

Postby QuackAddict2013 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Double Band I shot this morning in Berkeley
Attachments
DOUBLE BAND.jpg
QuackAddict2013
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Very nice. Consider yourself extremely lucky. I've been hunting fowl for about 10 years and have yet to acquire a band. I'm starting to think I'm cursed...
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Awesome!
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Where was the duck banded? Anybody been talking about forming a hunt? I agree with several of the previous comments. Although I've taken many folks new to the sport to many of my spots in the past I can understand keeping info sharing limited. If we didn't hit it off I never worried about losing my spot. But anyone who has hunted for any length of time knows that the x changes often and there is more to successful hunting than a repeat appearance in the same spot. I don't think I need to explain that further. Time and experience usually win out at the end of the day. That aside I believe many of us would like to scout new hunting areas that we've never been. So yes a neutral place where many if not all us have not been would be beneficial to the party. If the hunt goes sour, theres time to get to know potential new long time hunting buddies. Nothing wrong with that and it builds trust for future hunts.

I've been duck hunting since 1991. Started in MN, then VA now here. Needless to say I've got enough gear to start a store. I'm currently hunting small water, but I prefer the big water or big fields. I like real early mornings, I like two hour setups, I like setting up a dozen or 200 decs. I like it cold, colder the better. I love to work the birds to the X.

Anyone want to plan something, lets make it happen. Any day in the blind is a good day! :beer:
P.S. There is definately not enough chatter on the SC site. Talk it up out there.
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:13 am

I like how you think BDR. For some reason that spill made me a little more fond of this idea. My hunting will be limited due to work related training this season but I'd love to go ahead and get to know some of you guys in hopes that maybe next year of putting something together. And I agree let's talk it up a little more in here.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby QuackAddict2013 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Where do you usually hunt BDR? I don't know to many open fields to hunt in but I am down to find anything. I usually hunt small and big waters. Usually in or around Santee and near Lake Murray. I am willing to travel anywhere in the state to find some good hunting. Early morning hunts are the best, and some afternoons also. So if anyone is willing to meet up sometime then that will be good. Boat should be getting out of the shop in about a week. So until then I am trying to find someone who will be willing to take me, which is hard. But I should be back out on the water in a week or two.
QuackAddict2013
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think the only way to kill alot of ducks is to have a good duck network setup with guys that scout different areas and can pass along info to the other members of that circle. Tough part is finding people you trust, like hunting with and will keep their mouths shut. I think this is a great idea and I will be more than willing to go out and scout/hunt with some new people once I move down to SC in a month. Ill pull my weight and have been guiding and hunting ducks for over 20 years, so if you want to ever meet ill be in the charleston area. Here are some pics from this week in my current location.
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey guys. I'm primarily hunting in the upstate. River backwater and flooded impounds. Just finished re-blinding up two boats. Around here there are too many people beating up the evening roosts on small waters and of course trespassing many times to do it. My big water scouting is about to begin.

I like the network idea. I have used this approach before. Guys live in different areas and do the local scouting in their areas. When fellows travel they hunt together or at least coordinate multiple blinds to keep the birds moving for everyone. This works best for rivers and big water especially when the birds are in diferent areas at different times of the season. Small water or field hunting within the network would be by invite only with an inherent agreement within the network to protect these confidential spots for the members who discovered them.

Of course joint scouting is a great way to get to know the network members.
May want to begin PMing thoughts for those interested.
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Been tough hunting down here inthe beaufortarea the last few days....been taking another member as hejustmovedhere...willing to take anybody willing to hunt
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby bsmith1982 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Im from Greer, SC. I am new to duck hunting and would like to learn the ropes before trying this by myself. I have no partner and would be grateful for some experience. Im willing to help with gas and have a jon boat if needed. If interested please let me know thanks
bsmith1982
Newb

Postby BirdDogRip » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Welcome to the addiction Bsmith1982. :welcome: :beer:
I'm in Greer as well. Currently, I'm hunting private land with the owner and no extended priveledges. Doesn't mean there aren't other areas. Are you real familiar with any public water in the area? Best place to start is with areas you know best. :thumbsup:
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby bsmith1982 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks Bird dog. I know there's Lake Cunningham on Wednesdays. I know Hartwell and some of the big lakes. I guess I'm a little confused what to scout for and where to set up decoys. Also wondering if all of the bigger lakes are permissible providing you are far enough from a residence. On the bigger lakes do i need to go to the backs of the creeks or shallow pockets? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated?
bsmith1982
Newb

Postby Dormanxc04 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Hey everyone I saw this discussion about a new hunt club. I would love to join a hunt club that we could get together. I have been a big turkey hunter my whole life. I duck hunted a few times a long time ago. I am wanting to make it a permanent thing. I loved it when I went those few times. Now I'm older and can afford to get into a club and have my own places to go. So I would like to get to know some of y'all and maybe we could get a club together and find some good property. I'm willing to learn and need some guys to teach me the ropes. I'm located up here in the upstate. I'm in a club right now up here. It's go the broad river on it. They say there are a good bit of ducks up here. But if someone wants to message me you are more than welcome to come hunt and show me the ropes and see how it goes. Free hunting for you. I would love to get a club together in the future if we can get a good deal. Let me know what y'all think. Glad to join the club
Dormanxc04
hunter

Postby Spottail » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't know anything about starting a duck club, but I do know that QuackAddict didn't shoot that
double banded Mallard in Berkeley County SC on Dec. 09 of this year.

That's ice on the concrete under his boat. There sure as hell wasn't any ice anywhere in Berkeley County on Dec. 09.

Carry on.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:57 am

This was Dec. 7. Private land. Couldn't quite finish my limit. Still no bands...
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Scduckmen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:49 am

Im in florence sc and hunt sparkleberry swamp, pee dee river and local swamps. Im interested in possibly doing this as well.
There two types of people without beards, boys and woman, and I am neither.
Scduckmen
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:14 am

Heading out to big water (lake Hartwell) =tomorrow with some first timers. I've never hunted there but scouted today and going to give it a go. Hoping to get into divers. Been iching for ringneck duck gumbo. Will report on what is seen. Good luck to everyone this week and hit em hard. Smoked a mallard the other week. Awesome. Smoked a goose for Christmas...yep also good.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Next

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting