Got Goose: EAT IT!

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Got Goose: EAT IT!

Postby BirdDogRip » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm

I was just visiting the VA site where I hung out before moving here in 2010, where a discussion was going on about cooking geese.
Geese are some of the best eats around. As complex flavors as venison if done right. So for newbies or doubters here are my comments copied from the VA forum.

Use this thread to add your own favorites. I want to try others preferred dishes. Goose...It the other Red Meat!!! :thumbsup: :hammer:

Confit is always good if you can get the duck fat. Gourmet dude!

My Goose stand bys..... :thumbsup: :hammer: :beer:

Hindquarters: crock- covered in redwine, several slices of bacon, minced garlic and worchester.

skinless Breast: marinate 1 hour (no more) in soy, fish and oyster sauce, minced garlic, and chinese five spice. Grill on high for 4 minutes on each side or to a rare or midrare (no more). Let sit foil covered 5 minutes, slice thin across grain. Serve this to anyone from age 2 up and the biggest doubters and they'll love it. Use this for your tougher venison pieces (sirloin tips) as well.

Smoked (then crocked if you want real tender). Use the same marinade as above before smoking. Do what you want with it done, bbq, pulled etc..
(this is a skin on bird and deboned whole except the wings and hind quarters) Best skin taste ever if eaten before crocked) Do the same for ducks but skip the crock. My 8 and 11 year old claim it tastes better than bacon. Now that saying soming.
p.s. hickory, apple and pecan wood chips. This is a side box smoker and smoked for 8 hours, min 6.

Frozen Birds over 1 year: Debone and put through the grinder with good beef fat (just like venison). Use ground goose for anything you'd use ground beef for, burgers, spaghetti, tacos they're all good.

Goose meat sticks and ground sausage are good too.
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Re: Got Goose: EAT IT!

Postby 682x » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 pm

My favorite is teriyaki jerky with the breast meat Made a 4lb. and a 5lb. batch and both only lasted a couple days. Kids can really put it down!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting