07-08 season

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

07-08 season

Postby josh 06 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:04 pm

well its almost here.went scouting tonight for the early teal and goose season.saw a nice buck in velvet.i think it was the same big boy i saw last year the first week of duck season.i also saw 2 blue wing teal and about 30 geese.we planted some rice tis spring and it is doing awesome its about 2 feet tall and throwing seeds like crazy.any one else seeing any birds yet?i live in the upstate and we rarely see blue wings.probably only some of the few ive seen my whole life.we get quite a bit of green wings though. i also wanted to ask another question hopefully some one can help me. ive been hunting the same spot since i was about 8 years old and my father has been hunting it since his early twenties.he tells me about all the ducks that used to come in their such as widgeon,cans,scaup,lots of teal and lots of mallards.he said it was nothing to limit out quick. well now we usually limit on woodies and if we're lucky one or two mallards. wonder what has happened? its a pretty big lake probably 12 or 15 acres with lots of food and cover.no houses have been built nearby or anything like that.has the duck population suffered that much?is it our southern weather?just wanting to know what some of you older guys think.ive been hunting ducks for twenty years and even i notice a difference in the way it used to be when i started out. thanks :sad:
josh 06
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:45 pm

We have not seen much at all of birds down this was as of yet really. As for the birds its the same down here in the midstate on the Savannah river. Woodies are not a problem and the geese are just crazy anymore. Im not a expert but stays so hot longer down here than it did years ago. Hunting pressure sure has increased tremendously in the past 10 years but I dont think that is our big problem. SC is just known anymore for poor quality hunting on ducks IMO.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hnestle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm new to the waterfoul hunting. But I have been scouting since middle of July, and have seen my share of geese. But the ducks are rare on the river I have leased. I have only been seeing 4-6 resident wood duck
(in the evening only) when I go out, and I have only seen two teals, both this week, the whole time.
hnestle
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting