Shot size for Geese?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Shot size for Geese?

Postby Boykinboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Hopefully gonna sneak a couple late season goose hunts in. I can't shoot bigger than a 3" shell.. my buddy says he shoots 3.5" BB shot. But i'm thinking that's a bit big. I've got a full box or 2 3/4" #1 Xperts, are those largw enough or do I need 3" BB or #1. I'll be huntin open water marsh, but Im hoping to hunt a private horse pasture pond.
Boykinboy
hunter

Re: Shot size for Geese?

Postby Hbnel5on » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Id go with 3" BB those jokers are tough!!

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

I've killed geese stone dead with 1-3/8oz 2's from a 3" shell. As long as you hit em square and make "in range" shots you should have no problem with the 1's. I've noticed that many attempt to compensate for their short comings in shooting ability with a larger shell, increased velocity, bigger shot size, etc. Know your limitations and enjoy the hunt. Thats why they call it hunting, not killing. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:44 am

Powder you must be a white stripe sniper... Either that or y'all's farm geese are a lot more feminine than ours... They huddle up eat cow feed, chit everywhere grow fat and happy... Then the day comes where they get killed.. Them corn fed ones are dumb.

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:24 am

Wasn't tootin my own horn or directing any ill towards you Hb. Just speaking from experience. Not sure if you're familiar but the majority of geese I have killed were taken on Broad River, a few on Murray and Monticello, and a few on private ponds. To my knowledge all were wild. I usually take shots >35yds, preferably with feet down in the decoys. An old fella told me once... If you kill the head the rest will die. So I do my best to put the majority of the shot in the front half of the bird. When I do the results are generally pretty devastating regardless of additional factors. And no sniper here... I have my days just as everyone else does :biggrin:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 am

No white stripe sniper referring to you must be a good shot and head shot them mostly! Compliment intended. I try not to be a complete turd like most on here. And migrators are generally easier to knock down than our locals. Simply because they're bigger, but leaner. Our season locals tend to be very lazy and get really fat.. Sometimes the feathers get to where you can't even pluck them it's so bad... So it's all in the geese and how comfortable you are with your gun. What it seems if you're hunting a farm pond they may be locals and be fatty like ours here.

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:35 am

The "corn fed ones" I was referring to was the geese because they eat the grains that are put out for the cows.

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 pm

BBB or BB pass shooting. BB - 1 -2 over deks. Kind of like a turkey. If you don't hit head or neck or break a wing they don't like to come down. They can tote some shot. :hammer:
JFord56
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting