Wood Duck wins Junior duck Stamp Contest

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Wood Duck wins Junior duck Stamp Contest

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:50 pm

A middle school student from Charleston recently won best of show in South Carolina's 2005 Junior Duck Stamp Contest with her colored pencil painting of a wood duck. This is the 11th annual contest.

Thirteen-year-old Anastasia Timina from Charleston, who attends the School of the Arts in North Charleston, entered her artwork of a wood duck in the South Carolina Junior Duck Stamp competition for 2005 and received State Best of Show South Carolina's 2005 Junior Duck Stamp Contest and a first-place award in the Grades 7-9 category for her colored pencil. Timina's art teacher is Marie Nichols at the School of the Arts in North Charleston.

Timina's wood duck painting will be entered in the 2005 National Junior Duck Stamp Contest with other state winners later this year. She is the youngest Best of Show in the 11 years of the South Carolina Junior Duck Stamp contest. The S.C. Junior Duck Stamp exhibit was displayed Feb. 18-20 at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition at the Gaillard Auditorium in Charleston.

The popular South Carolina Junior Duck Stamp competition for 2005, tailored after the prestigious state duck stamp contest, was judged in Columbia on Feb. 3 at S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) headquarters in Columbia.

Students from across the state submitted some 400 entries from over 40 schools to the 2005 South Carolina Junior Duck Stamp competition. 1st 2nd and 3rd place awards were given in four class groups (Grades K-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12), including one overall "Best of Show," and 64 honorable mention ribbons. The top 100 Junior Duck Stamp entries will also be on display during the Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic March 18-20 at the State Fairgrounds in Columbia with an awards presentation taking place at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia on May 14.

The S.C. Junior Duck Stamp Program is a conservation education curriculum for South Carolina students in grades K-12. The S.C. Department of Natural Resources, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Federal Duck Stamp program, Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund jointly sponsor the Junior Duck Stamp contest in South Carolina. For more information on South Carolina's annual contest write Junior Duck Stamp Program, S.C. Department of Natural Resources, PO Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202 or call (803) 734-3885 in Columbia or visit the Web site at www.jrduckstamp.com.

Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodywoodduck » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:58 pm

I read the Title of this thread and thought, "How in the Heck can a Wood duck win an Art contest?"

:laughing:

Glad to see a Young Artist win and Nice to see the Drawling was of a Wood duck! :thumbsup:

I personally think, the Wood duck gets cast aside when it comes to contests of paintings or Drawlings of Ducks!

Glad to see this one Won! :salude:
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:25 pm

I agree every once in a while its good to make a confusion with the title, it draws more attention i think :mrgreen:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting