SCWA bands or any out of state bands

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

SCWA bands or any out of state bands

Postby bigduckhunter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:05 pm

hey guys...i was just wondering if anybody has harvested a band this year or knows anyone that has found one...ive been hunting ducks for 9 years ( im 20) and have yet to kill a band...even though i have been in the same boat 5 times when someone else has killed one... but anyways tell me how many yall have found this year...would like to know if SCWA is still banding...thanks..

Taylor C.
bigduckhunter
hunter

SCWA BANDS

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:32 am

No they do not band ducks at SCWA anymore. I do not know the story behind it, but I know that they do not do it anymore.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

bands

Postby bigduckhunter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:47 pm

well that sucks... it think killing is like harvesting a 8 pt. buck....theres is nothing more exciting than getting a banded duck..i guess since SCWA isnt doing that anymore that my chances of killin a banded bird are shot.....o well guess its time to make my yearly trip to texas or louisiana
bigduckhunter
hunter

Postby 3dhunting » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 pm

we killed 5 banded mallards in gaffney before they guit banding and killed the biggest woodie drake from maryland. if you want a goose band go to furman or floerdanial in greenvillei. see bands on those when i go that way.i was at table rock park with my wife and little girl and they were 5 that had bands. i got some close enough to catch, and i did but it didnt have a band. let me tell you , a full grown alive goose puts up a $&%$& of a fight. i have a thing about catching live birds, i caught a seagull at the beach one time,i drue a growd on that one. good luck
3dhunting
hunter

Postby coaltrain1300 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:43 am

I know when Clinton House had the banded birds and quit they went to clipping a toe. I was disappointed myself when they stopped. I killed a mallard in Hendersonville, NC from Interlaken Plantation somewhere near Bamburg, SC ? Only band I got. and one from the HRC trial for half of my started trial. lol
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby Poop Washington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 am

luckily for me I got 17 bands before they stopped- I got so many I walk sideways and have to vist the chiropracktur

bring back the jewelry SCWA- we hunt outside a field that stocks wild mallard and lay the smacketh down on them
Poop Washington
hunter

Postby Carolina Duckman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:44 am

I bought some off ebay a few months ago to get my lanyard started. That gets $$$ fast. Is there newhere you can buy some bands for cheap?
Carolina Duckman
hunter

Postby Poop Washington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:02 am

CD- a friend told me about EBAY and that the price skyrocketted on them- I guess other hunters figured it out- keep checkin EBAY or maybe crags list
Poop Washington
hunter

Postby Carolina Duckman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 am

I tried taking some of my Nana's old spoons and hammering them flat. Once I cut them they looked ok but the Sharpie ink won't stay on for long. I wonder how they get the numbers cut in there bands at the factory?
Carolina Duckman
hunter

Postby coaltrain1300 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 am

nothing personal but who wants to walk around a foney? Bands are a status symbol so to speak. Kinda like a purple heart. you can buy them on ebay or flee market too. But I mean....... Sorry not my cup of tea guys. you can look on my lanyard or in my den i guess for my status symbol.
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby coaltrain1300 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 am

they are aluminum, light and dont rust. the numbers are stamped in there and ink filled.
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby Poop Washington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:23 am

I got a drummel tool but it wont be easy to right with it

I seen thsi one guy in store one time that had prolly 35 bands on his lonyard - he must be reel lucky or he bought them on EBAY
Poop Washington
hunter

Postby Carolina Duckman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:28 am

Most duck hunters consider SCWA bands to be foney anyway so what is the difference? PW, my Unc has a drummel and I bet it has an attachment that mite work to make some numbers. I will try it and send you some for thinking it up if it works.
Carolina Duckman
hunter

Postby Cupped & Locked » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm

A guy that I went to school with used to help SCWA with their banding projects, and would always sneak out of there with a few extra bands that they did'nt use. He never would give any away though, he just kept them all for himself. After his third year of helping at SCWA he would sound like santa's sleigh coming when he walked around with his lanyard on.

You might be able to get some bands if you put in some volunteer time. Just an idea.
Back em down into the dekes!
Cupped & Locked
hunter

Postby Poop Washington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I just picked up 3 SCWA bands off ebay for under $21.oo and I get FREE shipping

Gotta be quick boys- that auction didnt last 18 minutes before I hit the bye it now
Poop Washington
hunter

bands

Postby josh 06 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:13 pm

why would you want to make bands or etch numbers on em.they didnt come off his leg.thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.i got nine and you know how i gotem.bustin ducks asses for the past 22 years.be patient youll get one.every one i got has been taken here in our state.dont stoop that low and make one seriously get them the right way.
josh 06
hunter

bands

Postby bigduckhunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 pm

well i hope to get one the second round...but i never even thought of buying one on ebay or etching them at all....thats not my way of getting bands...i come from a long line of duck hunters and the only true way that you can show how much of a hunter you are is by the bands that you harvest from a duck...buying a band and putting them on the lanyord isnt going to make me feel proud at all.
bigduckhunter
hunter

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I personally do not want bands on my lanyard that I did not shoot myself. I have been hunting for 9 years now and I have 31 bands on my lanyard. Only 5 of them are Federal bands and the rest are SCWA. But I put in just as much time and effort to shoot the SCWA bands as I did the Federal bands. But I would not have a lanyard full of bands that I did not shoot. Kind of like having deer mounted that you did not shoot. Does not make good sense.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

bands

Postby bigduckhunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 pm

exactly what i was trying to say :smile:......i want to kill my bands
bigduckhunter
hunter

Postby Moose05 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks coaltrain. Agree wholeheartedly. I've been hunting for about 10 years now and have been lucky enough to get 3 banded birds but the last was probably 5 years ago.

I guess the way I look at it is the pride of having the bands is that you put the time and effort in to make them your's.
Moose05
Newb

Postby Cupped & Locked » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Most of my bands came from ducks that I killed, but I do have a couple that were given to me.

This seems like a good deal if you dont mind buying them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Avise-Write-Duck ... 7C294%3A50
Back em down into the dekes!
Cupped & Locked
hunter

Postby bandedmallards » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 pm

got a couple of the SCWA bands myself killed them here in north carolina
1999 band killed in 2000
&
2000 band killed 2008

also 2 other mallard bands

2003 NCWA band killed in 2003
&
Frostwaterfowl band 2006
&
And a Federal Goose band i got tuesday in kansas

got 5 bands in 12 years of hunting not 2 bad my dad has been duck hunting 26 years and has 2 bands 1 SCWA band and his first Federal band from a mallard drake he got monday in kansas
bandedmallards
hunter

Postby coaltrain1300 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:28 pm

I've been duck hunting 10 years. killed or lead the killing on around 200 geese in 3 years and averaged 15 or so the other 7. killed approx, 50 ducks per year for 7 of those years and approx 30 for these other 3 years. I have one scwa band. ive killed birds and been on allot of successful mass murderings and I'm the only one with a band out of my hunting group of buddies. hadnt heard of any of my other buddies getting any either. Now I've killed 3 northern shovelers, chinese manadrin, a ross goose(coast of NC), 2 snows, ring necks, woodies,and hoodies in WNC. Black ducks, gadwalls, pintails, brant, goldeneyes, greater canadas. buffleheads, mergansers of various species, from Chincoteague VA and some from SPokane Washington.

Point is Ive traveled and killed all kinds of mixed bags and I have one band from the SCWA. Now we killed snows in Chincoteague VA the first year I went and a buddy spooked a flock that was landing behind us and they flew over to another blind and a guy killed one with a $100 reward and earlier that season a custome rkille done with a $1000 reward.

Besides sharing kills point is I take bands around here very serious. go to the dakotas and other places and Im sure people get to fill a lanyard every coup0le of years. So it's a status symbol and I respect it. If you want to make your own or buy them off ebay that's cool too. I see your spread it dang better be full of yellow rubber ducks and a full size Daffy standing on the bank cause in my eyes your a joke. But thats my opinion. hard to respect a foney.

Cute example huh? lol good luck to everyone this year.
coaltrain1300
hunter

Postby TFhunterCU » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:34 am

wow people are buying bands now?!?! ive hunted scwa birds before on some private land, not gona lie they were the easiest birds ive ever hunted, ever! i got so many of those stupid bands, ive just thrown them away. i dont consider killin one of those birds legit unless it is a few years old and from somewhere else in the state. right now my lanyard is empty and im fine with that. ive killed plenty of birds and dont need a tiny piece of metal from a local pet duck to prove it. ha and people wonder why others call em rubberheads. sitting on a pond with a couple hundred pets swimming around just doesnt seem fun anymore. but o well, hey yal have some fun with those, i mean ill shoot the junk out of em if they fly over but yal can have the bands from those. u can bet ill never order some lanyard jewelry just to look cool, cuz its obvious duck hunting is the cool thing to do
TFhunterCU
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby pappy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 pm

wow

i was reading this thread and thought it was a joke so i kept waiting for the punch line or someone to spill the beans.

are you guys serious about buying bands or harvesting somebody's 4-h project for the sake of honestly calling it duck huntin.

i knew south carolina hunting was bad but after reading this it has stooped to a new low. i hope them arkansas boys don't read this thread.

it's a sad day in south carolina huntin.... but then..... to each his own.

good huntin (or Shopping or what ever you're callin it):thumbsup:

pap
pappy
hunter

Next

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting