Opening day

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Opening day

Postby Claymore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:11 am

Went out at 6Am had 5 ducks by 930. slow at times and no wind at all. the bugs were bad hope this cold spell takes care of them. looks like it will be a good year. good luck to all
Claymore
hunter

Re: Opening day

Postby crocodileednul9 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I hunted around willow lake by myself, got five ducks and two geese by 7:15 it was really slow after that though.
crocodileednul9
hunter

Postby SDuckhunter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Opening Day, 4 hunters, 24 ducks, 8 geese. Day2, 3 hunters, 18 ducks, 6 geese. Day3, 3 hunters, 18 ducks, 4 geese. Day4, 2 hunters, 12 ducks, 4 geese. Day 5, hunted alone, 5 ducks, 2 geese. Day 6, 2 hunters, 12 ducks, no geese. Day 7, hunted alone, 6 ducks, missed 3 geese. All hunting around Florence, Waubay, and Hazel. Another weekend is here already!!! Have never seen so many Mallards this early in the year. Ducks are everywhere, little water, big water, and fields. I can't wait for the migration!!!
SDuckhunter
hunter

Postby jon55nj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Nice SDuckhunter. What area of the state?
jon55nj
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:34 pm

East part of the state
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby WildlifeDisease » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:44 am

I just moved back to VA from SD...I was in grad school out there. Had a blast! But, would like to say that y'all need to send some ducks SOUTH now, you've had 'em long enough!!! :)

-Marc
Virginia Wildlife Disease Biologist
USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_dama ... inia.shtml
WildlifeDisease
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Jon I'm guessing the ne part of the state.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby SDuckhunter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 am

I was hunting the NE part of South Dakota as it is close to home. Pheasant opener coming up, but weather does not look good. Going to be cold and wet, not the greatest weather for finding the ring-neck.
SDuckhunter
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:56 pm

I didn't get out Saturday on opener but two buddies and i got out on some private land near brookings on sunday and shot our three-man limit. Pretty fun pheasant hunt. As for ducks there are quite a few west of brookings. I have yet to go home empty handed this year and i've been out at two to three times a week. I cant wait for the migrators though.
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby geno » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:21 am

Drew, how is the corn/bean harvest progress in that area? Some guys on pheasant forums are advising to postpone trips until later if possible due to crops and wet fields and we are scheduled for 11-7. We base out of Arlington-for pheasant hunting. Thanks for any comments.
geno
hunter

Postby SDuckhunter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:23 am

Wheat harvested, progress being made on beans, most if not all corn still in the fields.
SDuckhunter
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Geno, i would agree that that pheasant hunting trips should be delayed. I would say 95% of the corn is still in, and maybe 60% of the beans are still standing. The beans are coming out though, i saw two fields being harvested on Sunday. My recent pheasant outings have been a bit unproductive, although if you find nice cover next to a corn field, walk it right before sunset, as the birds in the corn will come to the grass to roost. My two cents. Good luck!
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:51 pm

All the crops are still in around here, but there are so many pheasants it has not been a problem shooting bunchs of em
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby geno » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Drew, any progress in the harvest/wet situation? We are scheduled to leave this Saturday for Arlington and hunt pheasants for 5 days but I'm not so sure we shouldn't push it back to plan B, the Saturday after Thanksgiving even though it's deer season then in SD. Thanks-we always stop at Wally in Brookings to get our license and look at all the new trucks at the Chev dealership on the frontage road. They did good for us in an emergency a couple years ago-another story involving a downed power line wrapped in a drive train out in the boonies-thank God it was de-energized or I wouldn't be typing this now. Thanks again for any input.
geno
hunter

Postby crocodileednul9 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:31 pm

A lot of progress has been made on the beans but almost all of the corn is still in around the brookings/arlington area. Hopefully they will be able to get in fields this week. The land where i hunt around willow lake they cant get into fields because a lot of them are flooded.
crocodileednul9
hunter

Postby geno » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:48 am

Croc, thanks for the info-we just decided to delay our trip until after Thanksgiving.There are just too many signals telling us our hunt may not be up to expectations with the water in fields/crops up situation. I also see that rain is forecast in Arlington 3 of the 5 days we are supposed to be there next week. Hopefully it will improve by the end of the month. Where is Willow Lake? We base at the hotel in Arlington and go northeast around Lake Ponsett area. I appreciate your comments.
geno
hunter

Postby crocodileednul9 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Willow lake is about 30 mi west of lake poinsett, or about 20 miles north of de smet.
crocodileednul9
hunter

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:57 pm

taking a chance waiting that long could all be froze up by then. I love the water in standing corn mallards go to it like flies on crap
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby geno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Kurt, I was talking about pheasant hunting not duck we delayed our pheasant hunt trip until 11-28 and after. For pheasants, a freeze up is good for us hunters but I know what you mean about ducks in water filled corn fields. We generally see ducks on every body of open water when we are there. Lake Poinsett seems to have a lot of divers-we never see many duck hunters though, mostly pheasant hunters. For out of staters, there is some form of lottery draw to deal with. Maybe someday if I can ever retire and have time to stay awhile, I would love to try SD duck hunting.
geno
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:07 am

for hunting the chinese chickens a freeze is good. Lots of slews you can walk with out falling in. Beans and flowers are coming out around here now. Had our first 500 bird flush of the season. The gfp say the numbers are down i think they need to learn how to count. So far this year we have seen more or just as many as last year.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby geno » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Croc or Drew, the weather has been drier-are the fields being worked? How have the pheasant hunters been doing lately? Coming out on 11-28 for the next 5 days of bird hunting. Thanks for any comments.
geno
hunter

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Around here the corn is starting to come out. Have not went out with out getting a limit this year. 17 days hunting and have not had to hunt past 3 with any group. my dad was out last weekend and said there is no comparison in numbers between here and over east but compared to what they have had in the past it is pretty good. He lives in watertown and has been down in the arlington area quite abit this year.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby geno » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am

Kurt, thanks for the update. We used to hunt around Plankinton for a tresspass fee but never around Mobridge. Here in Arlington we have been lucky enough to get on private land w/o a fee but the bird numbers don't compare from what I hear with other areas. We'll see what happens this year-looking forward to it once we get past our whitetail opener this week-end. Best wishes. :beer:
geno
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:40 pm

I dont know if this us true or not, but we heard that the river up there is out of its banks and there is 100 miles of flooded crops underwater and is holding a 3rd of the mallards of the whole mississippi flyway. Can anyone confirm that?
vapor300
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:09 am

LOL.. getting in this one late!

My SD opener was awesome. Left home at 3:30am with 3 friends to get to the marsh at 5:00 am. It was so cold this year on opener that we had to break ice... yes folks... BREAK ICE! We got a hole broke open and put in 6 dekes and waited. Had our limit of ducks and were packed up and headed south for pheasant opener which started at Noon. Had our limit of pheasents (6 hunters) by 3 pm. Was home by 5:30. That was one heck of a long day. Put 400 miles on the truck to get 18 ducks and 18 pheasents.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Next

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting