Wessington Springs area

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Wessington Springs area

Postby UTTOM » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 am

Every year my in-laws and I make the pilgramage from Tennessee and Virginia to Wessington Springs to chase the honorable pheasant. This year we would like , if the draw is kind to us, add a few days of duck hunting to the trip. My question is do any of the lakes in the surrounding area have boat ramp access and are they open to the public. Hunting back east is whole lot different with the big water and all, so I am a litle out of my environment with potholes and drainage areas. Not looking for any hot spots, but some general knowledge or insight to make it an even better trip than usual.

Thank You
UTTOM
hunter

Re: Wessington Springs area

Postby xfps » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't hunt up there a lot but if you get a SD hunting atlas look for any waterfowl production areas around there and start looking, waterfowl doesn't take a front seat anywhere in this state so hunt the ducks early then at 10 or 12 start on the pheasants. 9 outta 10 times I get my ducks and then pheasants on the way out.
xfps
hunter

Re: Wessington Springs area

Postby SDOutdoorsman » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I live about 40 miles away from Wessingtons Springs and do a ton of waterfowl hunting. You are wasting your time bringing a boat and looking for lakes. Find a flooded corn field or small pothole that the ducks are sitting in. Just do some scouting and find some birds and ask the land ownder for permission. I have never been turned down to hunt waterfowl. Everyone will just tell you to leave the pheasants alone. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
SDOutdoorsman
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting