Advice for the newbie

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Advice for the newbie

Postby chrtoflinski » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Last year was my first year hunting waterfowl, and even though I hunted hard all season up till I deployed to Iraq I only managed to kill one Greenhead. I am stationed out of Ellsworth and only hunting West River areas like Newell, Angastora, and lakes around New Underwood. Been spending all my spare time over here trying to learn as much as possible to not repeat last year. My biggest problem is that I dont know of any good public hunting land oppurtunities around west river thats good. Also I plan on making several weekend trips to the pierre/ NE so. dak areas and was wondering how public hunting is there as well?
chrtoflinski
hunter

Re: Advice for the newbie

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Dude, you need to join your local DU committe and get to know other members. One of them will take you under their wing and show you the ropes.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:55 pm

pierre does not have much for good public areas. Starting at mobridge and east there is ALOT of water this year and alot of ducks. I grew up in the watertown area and there is more presure than mobridge with the hunting being just as good here.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby chrtoflinski » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:53 am

I appreciate the advice that will save me a lot of time planning. It's a shame that out of over a 1,000 looks only two people wanted to help someone get into waterfowl.
chrtoflinski
hunter

Postby sodak1969 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 am

I don't know anything about hunting west river, but I hunt mostly public land between brookings and watertown. There is quite a few good areas to hunt there. If you are planning to come this far NE send me a message and I will see if I can help you out with a spot or two.
sodak1969
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 am

Have you ever tried to field hunt for greenheads? Normally if you scout around and see some good feeding zones, you can ask the farmer that owns these lands and they will let you hunt.
We normally hunt picked corn fields in the eastern part of the state, so I am not that knowledgable of the type of terrain in the west river area.
Good luck!
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri May 20, 2011 6:51 am

chrtoflinski wrote:I appreciate the advice that will save me a lot of time planning. It's a shame that out of over a 1,000 looks only two people wanted to help someone get into waterfowl.

Are you a member of Ducks Unlimited yet? Are you on the local chapter committe?

If not, you are not listening, and you are making your education slower and harder than it has to be. Go join that chapter, those local fellas will school you.
TomKat
Dorothy

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting