Aberdeen area or Mobridge area? Opinions welcomed

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Aberdeen area or Mobridge area? Opinions welcomed

Postby TheWanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 am

Finalizing plans for our trip to SD this year. There will be 3 of us coming out for the first time ever with my young lab for a combination of pheasant and waterfowl (targeting ducks) hunting.

I'm trying to decide on one of these two areas based on the following criteria:
1. Pheasant densities
2. Likelihood of open water for ducks
3. Availability of public land

If it were you taking this trip where would you go?

I'm asking because I orginally planned on going to the Aberdeen area, but with the pheasant forecast and the time of year, the combination of better pheasant densities and the only open water possibly being Oahe may push us to Mobridge (we could take a boat for Oahe). However Aberdeen area still trumps all others with public opportunities.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Re: Aberdeen area or Mobridge area? Opinions welcomed

Postby feetdown25 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Hunted ducks on public and private land not far from aberdeen last year. it was very good for ducks, we only hunted pheasants one afternoon and didn't see a lot. If your mainly duck hunting that's a great area though.
feetdown25
hunter

Re: Aberdeen area or Mobridge area? Opinions welcomed

Postby geno » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 am

Assume you know that waterfowl hunting for non-residents has a lottery draw system which has already been done for the 2011 season.
geno
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting