Non resident Huning the early goose season.

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Non resident Huning the early goose season.

Postby Coffey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi my Father and I have decided to try our luck in the early season Goose season and I got a Non resident duck tag as well. We have not been doing to well here in Illinois. We are looking for a couple of hints or to be pointed in a direction to where we might have a good trip and hunt. We are thinking of around the Lewis and Clark lake area as it it not to far of a drive. We will be bringing decoys for a field hunt or a water hunt. We are really going at this blind and doing as much research as we can and scouting spots on google earth, but that can only get you so far. So any help will be much appreciated. Im not looking for somebody to give us the location of their hunting spot. Just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks
Steve
Coffey
hunter

Re: Non resident Huning the early goose season.

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 am

I'd go farther north. Like sandlake, which is up by Aberdeen. You'll have much better luck. Plus I wouldn't waste my out of state for the early goose in Sept.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Coffey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Well I have a September goose tag and a Non resident waterfowl tag. I dont think we were looking to drive that far north but I will look into it. Thank you
Coffey
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Well if you have the sept goose permit as well. I'd look around Sioux Falls and west towards Mitchell.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Coffey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Ok I will check out that area. Thank you very much for the help. We are really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks
Coffey
hunter

Postby Coffey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Also if anybody is looking for two guys to tag along on a hunt around the time we are going to be there we would be up for that too.

Thanks
Coffey
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I would go hunt by Pierre in the pits.

Stay away from Aberdeen. There are no geese or ducks here...

:evilbanana:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am

sdgr8wthnter wrote:Well if you have the sept goose permit as well. I'd look around Sioux Falls and west towards Mitchell.

Not a lot of geese south of the interstate this year. I really wouldn't bother with that area as a non resident. Put yourself in a county with high bird numbers. That would be any county east of hwy 281 and north of hwy 14. Better bird numbers, but more pressure. south or west of those highways and you'll be putting on more windshield time to find birds. Not that there isn't huntable numbers, but it will be more work.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting