SD duck & goose hunting?

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Im from Ga and have been talking to a buddy about hunting SD for ducks & geese. I know duck season doesnt have too much longer if it hasnt already ended but I hear the late goose conservation is wonderful! Whats everyones experience up there?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga


Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby go get the bird » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Who told you that? :huh:

We don't have a late goose conservation season, but some areas are open longer than others, specifically around the river.

Did your buddy tell you that waterfowl hunting in SD is on lottery draw for out-of-staters?

The only duck season still open is West River, and it's open until the 17th.

You are better off hunting in the south, like LA and TX. Go there.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

go get the bird wrote:Who told you that? :huh:

We don't have a late goose conservation season, but some areas are open longer than others, specifically around the river.

Did your buddy tell you that waterfowl hunting in SD is on lottery draw for out-of-staters?

The only duck season still open is West River, and it's open until the 17th.

You are better off hunting in the south, like LA and TX. Go there.

:lol3: :lol3: yaaa....right. Nice try!
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 pm

The only licenses available are private land only licenses for the missouri river corridor season that is still open. Good luck getting on any land freelance though. Hiring a guide or leasing a pit are about the only ways your going to get a hunt in as a non resident.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Unless your thinking about the spring light goose conservation order???

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm

I was just simply asking how the duck & goose hunting was up there in general. I got a duck & goose hunting guide job opportunity up there and have never been. I know it can get cold as all get out but that doesnt bother me at all. Doing what I have a passion for and an obsession over for a living and getting paid good money for it sounds good in my book. Im just waiting to hear back from the outfitter.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 am

How are you going to guide when a non resident waterfowl license is only good for 10 days? Guide without a gun? Tribal land?

The hunting is great. Duck numbers were huge this year. The drought had them grouped up. The migration was steady all fall. Goose numbers are through the roof. The downside is we are losing habitat at a rate beyond alarming. Duck production is going to take a big hit this year unless we get some sort of miracle in the form of an abnormally wet spring.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 pm

tornadochaser wrote:How are you going to guide when a non resident waterfowl license is only good for 10 days? Guide without a gun? Tribal land?

The hunting is great. Duck numbers were huge this year. The drought had them grouped up. The migration was steady all fall. Goose numbers are through the roof. The downside is we are losing habitat at a rate beyond alarming. Duck production is going to take a big hit this year unless we get some sort of miracle in the form of an abnormally wet spring.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.

I would move to SD and become a resident. It only takes a day to become a resident up there. I already have my living arrangements planned and so on.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: SD duck & goose hunting?

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am

Duckslayer26 wrote:I would move to SD and become a resident. It only takes a day to become a resident up there. I already have my living arrangements planned and so on.


Lol who told you that? It's 90 days plus motor vehicle registrations and drivers license must be changed to SD before you can get a resident hunting or fishing license unless you are a full time college student attending one of the post secondary institutes.
So if your guiding and want to take bookings for august goose to be safe better move up here by May 1st.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm


Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests