early season expectations

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

early season expectations

Postby kevinfoerster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm having a debate with some friends as to what should be a normal opening week in the pothole region of the state. Some people say opening week of the duck season is pretty good, others swear its a terrible waste of time.

What are your thoughts?
kevinfoerster
hunter

Re: early season expectations

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:49 pm

In my opinion, ducks are less wary and easier to decoy. It also beats sitting at home and watching it on the outdoor channel. If I lived where you were I'd be out as often as I could. Where I live, I literally have to drive 2 hours to hunt public land and usually the locals are there, or they show up an hour after shooting time, and let us know that we aren't "locals." Tell you what, you send an invite my way, I'll fly from Cali to hunt with you guys opener. :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby kevinfoerster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

you don't want to hunt illinois, no birds and way too much pressure, you can't hunt past 1pm on public water or ground. only killed a few birds all season. was asking about what south dakota residents think as i'm debating when i might be interested in coming out if i get the nonresident license.
kevinfoerster
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

All depends on the hatch. this year was excellent if you had access. Good hatch, then all the water dried up concentrating the birds. Lots of guys were shooting mallards in silage corn fields opening weekend. Not looking favorable for spring pond counts at the moment so your best bet would probably be to come mid to late october or first week of november.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby WallyDuck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

Opening day can go both ways. You could definitly find public water and fill straps full of bwt. In my opinion based off the areas I hunt, mid to late Oct. is when big ducks start to get hot. Might be the best time to come if you're not familiar with the area. Mid Nov. is my favorite time, but a lot of potholes will freeze, and if you don't know where open water is you will spend a lot of time scouting.
WallyDuck
hunter

Postby kevinfoerster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 pm

guys, i greatly appreciate it. we will only have a week, probalby going to come late september and do our best, that's all we can do. Don't want to give up the deer hunting back home. I'm scouting google maps trying to some areas.

I do have a question though, which i am posting in another thread right now. But if there is a wpa, or some other public hunting area that is isolated, with no road to get to it, surrounded by private ground. how do you access that land legally?

Thanks for all your help guys,

Kevin
kevinfoerster
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 pm

I love hunting early season. you may see 5 flocks all day but those five flocks are pretty easy to put in your face in which late season you can see thousands of birds and not shoot a bird.
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am

Typically public hunting land has some sort of easement for access if it appears land locked on a map. Usually following a fence line or old township road. Some of the public land west river is a little trickier to access but that is due to rancher attitudes and their propensity to think that if they lease public land for grazing it should be their land for hunting too.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting