Opener

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Opener

Postby Sorensen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:23 pm

Anyone else losing sleep over the anticipation of opening day. To me this day is better than Christmas. Probably because I don't have to be around my family.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 am

Losing sleep?....not yet better then Christmas... o yea, nothing is much better then opening day :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:20 pm

Not losing sleep yet, but you better believe Friday night it will be hard to sleep. The slough we are going to hunt is holding around 600 mallards and another 4 or 5 hundred other ducks. Plus about 50 geese. So hopefully we can limit out on Saturday. But who knows with it suppose to be freezing tonight. We will see if the teal decided to stick around. Good luck to you guys and post up on how you did.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:24 pm

[quote="sdgr8wthnter"]Not losing sleep yet, but you better believe Friday night it will be hard to sleep. quote]
you bet it will be...i will be lucky if i get 4 houts of sleep, i think it would be better off if i just put up decoys that night and sleep out in the field. its not going to freeze just frost, but i wouldn't expect them to move out right away, but sometimes things happen.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Not sure were we are exactly going to hunt the opener, somewhere by Brookings though. Have a couple of places lined up, and if all else fails we may just do some of the public land in the area.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:34 am

Everywhere in Brookings county is holding some ducks. So that shouldn't be a problem. Haven't been south of Brookings but east and north are holding tons of ducks. So jumping some on public sloughs could bag you a few.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby SDwaterfowler » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:40 am

Yup, darn excited here too! And plenty of ducks in Brookings county. Hunted geese there last weekend and the nephew got to shoot at tons of ducks as he just turned old enough to hunt this year. Was actually pretty surprised at the duck numbers. Lots of mallards and a ton of teal.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:23 am

looks like ill have to head that why if im trying to find a spot to go hunting from now on :tounge:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Wish I knew some kids that want to go hunting. My roommates and I would have love to take kids out. But the kids I know are too young yet. Maybe next year. Or if you guys know of any kids that want to go hunting just let me know and I would love to take them out.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:12 pm

To all you living in Low Plains North and Low Plains South, and your waterfowl season opens this Saturday.... I HATE YOU! Over here in the high plains we don't open for duck until the 30th.

BUT...HAHAH!!!!!

Our season opens a week later, but we get it for a month longer! :getdown: (30 Sep - 4 Jan as opposed to 23 Sep - 5 Dec)

Note: Our goose season opens this Saturday, though I don't think we are going out for it. Don't want to upset the mallards on the marsh. So, unless we can convince a local farmer to let us on a pond in his field we have 10 days to wait.
Penguine
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:13 pm

oh man you guys are lucky, our opener is in a couple weeks and i haven't seen hardley any ducks around. I grew up out in huron, so i know what your seeing. I can't wait till nov. me and the old man have a trip planned to try and get in some of the later season birds.

Good luck on Opener!! :thumbsup:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:34 pm

the first week of goose hunting i took them out and it was like their first time goose hunting and they had fun, they loved it because the geese came in great 1 started to land in the decoys. one of them are trying to buy a blind before this weekend because he had to lay in the field with burlap, they also liked it because i let them shoot black birds when nothing was flying.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:12 pm

well right now it started to rain down here in mitchell...i hope it does one of 2 things this weekend, i hope it don't rain cause it sucks hauling everything out in the field, otherwise i want a nice steady sprinkle that way they come in great and their won't be any shadows. :thumbsup:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 am

It is raining over here at Ellsworth also. Been raining all night.
Penguine
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:01 am

Just sprinkaling(sp) here in Brookings. Which could be awsome for me. Since I know of a few wheat fields that should have at least a few inchs of water in them. They were load 3 weeks ago with ducks and geese. So hopefully they are still that way. Good luck to everyone going out tmr. Phil
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:42 pm

I went out this moring and me and my brother in law had a limit by 7:50. One of the best days ever. I shot a drake can and he got a drake wood duck. Cant ask for much more than that.

Kurt
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:47 pm

Got out to the water hole at about 6am. There were 40+ geese on the water. We got out and before we could get the waders on they lifted off. There were about 10 left on the water. We krept through the cattails and when about 35 yards they jumped. We shot, three fell. Kyle doubled, Dave singled, Jared and I missed. Nothing came back and at 8:30am we had to leave.

The guys over on a cut wheat field (private) limited out by 7:30. DAMN!
Penguine
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:25 pm

well we went out scouting last night and found a spot where the ducks were landing in a cornfield cut in strips. So we setup everything, got out the hotbuys and my cousins fullbody mallards and 4 ghg fullbodys and 5 of us got our limit. 21 mallards 2 weidgons 1 gadwall 1 pintail. I had alot of fun, i recorded some of the hunt too and i thought i did a pretty good job. I'll have to try and find a way to get it on the computer. Goodluck tomarrow everyone :thumbsup: :salude:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Set up in a slough. Shot mostly gadwalls. Shot 23 and 2 geese. Had a buddy up by Milbank. They had 5 man limit of ducks and geese in 45mins today.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:07 pm

anyone get out today? me and my buddys went out we got 17 ducks and 1 goose. Well today made it a little better because one of my friends is moving to wyoming for school and today someone finaly got a band since we been hunting together. It also took some of my pro shooting skills :cool:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:00 am

Just got back to where I have internet. Saturday we shot our limit by 10, mostly gadwall, no mallards at all. Sunday also shot our limit by 9:30 a few nice mallards in there, just starting to get some green. Our group took 30 over the weekend and another group set up on a different slough took 29 on sat. and 8 on sunday and 3 geese. Total count 59 ducks and 3 geese.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby SDwaterfowler » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:20 am

Took a buddy out this weekend. It was his first time ever so had to spend a lot of time "teaching". Anyways, Saturday was real slow for us and everyone else on the marsh we were at. Ducks wouldn't decoy at all. Gave up at noon with only 2 in the bag. Sunday was much better. Limited on geese within 20 minutes and could have kept shooting them all day if the limit was higher. Singles, pairs, and small families kept wanting to come in all morning long. The ducks were a lot better for us on Sunday too. Didn't really want to decoy early in the morning. But then the mallards and gadwall started flying later in the morning and they were decoying pretty good. Stayed out until noon with 2 short of our limit.

Total count for me this year: 9 ducks, 4 Canadas

My buddy only hit one duck this weekend and it wasn't even the one he was aiming at.:toofunny: But he had fun and that is what counts. He couldn't stop talking about the goose that I dropped that landed about 18" from where he was standing.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am

went out today and just sat in a public hunting area and sat in the grass since there was no water, put up the lucky duck and got a few mallards, i was suprised i even got some ducks to come over.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:29 pm

i'll be up there around the 26th of october and we'll be hunting duck/goose/pheasant with our good friends from aberdeen and we'll be staying with my grandma in britton, jeez i can't wait and then when i get back to oklahoma it'll be open here. so hopefully it will be a good way to start off my season
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby Waterfowlslayer5 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Oh ive been waiting for this day all month... Ive been more excited for this than i was my birthday this month.. I cant wait till saturday morning..We hunt the same public slough every year and its already got about a thousand or more ducks on it so im heading home from school this weekend and gonna pound the crap out of them all weekend..Ill have my limit and 5 others will too by 8 im guaranteeing it..
Waterfowlslayer5
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting