SDSU visit/hunting trip

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

SDSU visit/hunting trip

Postby Trout&Duck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Hey guys, my dad and I are thinking about visiting SDSU this fall and we figured that since we're going to be up there we might as well try and do some hunting too. The thing is though we would have to go up in the last week of November, so I was wondering if most of the water in the area is frozen by that time. Any other info on the area would also be appreciated.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Re: SDSU visit/hunting trip

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:31 pm

You've got about 5 days to get your application for a non resident license in. We are a lottery state for non resident waterfowl licenses.

That being said, freeze up.in the brookings area can start around the first or second week of november, and by thanksgiving, only big water is open or holes on smaller water kept open by mallards and geese. That's the prime time for field hunting though.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Re: SDSU visit/hunting trip

Postby Trout&Duck » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah, Looked on the Game, Fish, and Parks website and saw that only about half of applicants get a licence. Also don't have the gear for field hunting. Maybe a Spring Goose hunt would work out better.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting