Got Drawn and will be in the lake norden area

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Got Drawn and will be in the lake norden area

Postby doubletheshovel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:48 pm

I was just putting it out there if anyone could let me know any public land near the lake norden, esteline or arlington area or where can I find like some where that has listed public land and also property that is public hunting access land. We got drawn for october 17th for the 10 day season. We will be staying on lake poinsett at my parents cabin. If anyone can provide me with any info that would be great. I may be able to put you on some fish on poinsett if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Re: Got Drawn and will be in the lake norden area

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm

The south dakota game fish & parks website publishes their public lands atlas online. Don't be afraid to knock on some doors to access private land though.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 pm

tornado
after I posted this I did some digging and found the atlas online. Thank you for the feedback and we have some private land we may have access to hunt but the more options the better
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Well we adjusted our dates to the 9th of October. Was visiting my parents cabin on lake poinsett over labor day and got a few hints on spots. I saw a decent amount of birds moving. I was just wondering if the early October time is decent in this area and what types of birds might we encounter there. I will not be able to scout anymore before we get out and hunt. My buddies that I got drawn with will get a day of scouting before I can make it down but I figured I would ask fellow DHCers what types and possible numbers we might see early in October in the Lake Poinsett area. Thanks in advance and good luck out there.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:14 am

Double, depending on weather, you will probably see a mix of local ducks and some calendar migrators. Should be plenty of gadwall, spoonies, local mallards, some teal, and some divers around. Should be a fair number of geese around too. Scouting will be key, as the local birds will have been pushed around a little bit by then.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:00 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Double, depending on weather, you will probably see a mix of local ducks and some calendar migrators. Should be plenty of gadwall, spoonies, local mallards, some teal, and some divers around. Should be a fair number of geese around too. Scouting will be key, as the local birds will have been pushed around a little bit by then.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to make my dad and some of his buddies to scout the area for me when it gets closer to that time since they will be up there fishing and getting the cabin ready for winter. I am very excited and hoping I shoot a gadwall since I have never shot one.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 am

Their color won't be great at that time but they decoy good, taste fine, and are abundant. We call them hunt savers.
If you have relatives in the area before hand, have somebody go to the library and check some plat books out. Then you'll be able to track down land owners for permission.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 am

Better yet, stop in to any coop or Ag. business and just ask for a plat book. Most places will give you a free one. Be advertise in our counties, so they give us like 50 of them. I usually keep three. One in the truck, at work, and at home. I try to keep the surrounding counties as well.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am

go get the bird wrote:Better yet, stop in to any coop or Ag. business and just ask for a plat book. Most places will give you a free one. Be advertise in our counties, so they give us like 50 of them. I usually keep three. One in the truck, at work, and at home. I try to keep the surrounding counties as well.

That works too. Some are better than others about giving them out though. Crop insurance and real estate offices have plenty around too.too

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 am

Great Ideas, I just buy mine but next time i'm in a county where I don't have a plat book I'll stop by. I would never hunt SD without one. The land owners are so hard to find some/most of the time. It really takes several trips to get to know a certain area. There is a lot of public area as well if you want to go that direction.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 am

Full Force Five wrote:Great Ideas, I just buy mine but next time i'm in a county where I don't have a plat book I'll stop by. I would never hunt SD without one. The land owners are so hard to find some/most of the time. It really takes several trips to get to know a certain area. There is a lot of public area as well if you want to go that direction.

$35-$45 per platbook at most places...pays to ask around for free ones. 8-)

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Right, I just paid 45 plus shipping for another co. in SD.

Well worth it.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Nice thing is more and more counties are adding GIS browsing to their websites. Nice to pull up landowner info right on your phone.

tornadochaser
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting