How are things looking out there?

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

How are things looking out there?

Postby BurnZ » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:27 am

Hey guys, i just wanted to get a little info on the the conditions out there. Me and my dad are coming out for a week on Saturday. We will be in NE SD, Has this cold snap been freezing anything up yet? How are the birds? have the northern birds been coming down? I can't wait to get out there. But i still have to get trough 2 more days of work.
My other question is how has the pheasant hunting been this year? It seems to be good every year so i would assume its going to be good, but i heard the number were up from last year so i was hoping it would be even better. :thumbsup:

thanks
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:54 pm

alot of ponds have been freezing up, sand lake is almost all froze its not looking fun, because i won't be able to get out for 2 weeks because i am going west river deer hunting this weekend.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SDwaterfowler » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:32 am

Was just going to post a thread on the ice conditions and saw this... Went out yesterday. Checked out most of the eastern side of the state from Sioux Falls north up to Watertown. All water medium to small sized is frozen over. Very large waters are partially frozen but still have large open areas that are huntable. There are a ton of birds around. Lots of northern birds. Tons and Tons and Tons of snows. With only large waters open, most of the puddlers and geese are grouped up in large flocks out in the middle of the lakes. They go from the middle of the lake to the field to eat and back. Can still get lots of diver shooting on the lakes right now. For puddlers, you will have the best chance in a field.

Temperatures are on the rise and I'm sure the water is going to start opening up this weekend. I bet by Sunday, most of the small to medium marshes should be open. Good luck.

Pheasant hunting for my group has been "fair" this year. We have been seeing approximately 1 rooster to 20 hens. There has been a lot of crop harvesting recently so that is helping. I would say last year we saw more roosters but this year we have seen more total birds.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:52 am

Hey thanks for the info guys, I can't wait to get out there! It should be a blast!!!! :getdown: :salude:
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

Postby ducksbuck » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:34 pm

I just left Lake Preston this morning, and ponds are starting to open up again. Lots of mallards and snow geese! Quite a few redheads also.
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby SDwaterfowler » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:44 am

Thanks for the update ducksbuck. I hunted Thompson on Saturday and limited on divers in less than 1/2 hour. Hardly saw any puddlers so I was starting to think they may have moved out already, even though I had seen lots of HUGE flocks of them around that area on Thursday. But glad to hear they are sticking around. I was worried the season would be a real short one if they moved out already. Either way.... can't complain as this is the best season we've had in a long time.

Also good to hear the water is starting to open up. I didn't get out on Sunday. On Saturday we were pheasant hunting and we walked across a small pond (about 250 yards around) not far from Thompson and the ice was still thick enough to hold us.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:16 pm

There has been some northern migration in the last few days with the 60 plus degree weather. Tons of ducks, snows and honkers around. All of the water is open, and Thursday should be the day to go out with snow in the forcaste.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby SDwaterfowler » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks for the update sdgr8wthnter. Are all of the smaller ponds around Brookings open now? Didn't realize snow was coming Thursday. Was going to take a 3 day weekend this weekend to get out but now I just might have to make it a 4 day weekend. :hammering: Are you still seeing lots of mallards around?
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:35 pm

Have a field lined up for tmr, that has anywhere for 3 to 5 thousand mallards feeding into it. There are tons of mallards around. Lots of divers as well.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting