decoy and duck call advice.

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

decoy and duck call advice.

Postby camohunter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 pm

So what does a person be concerned about when starting Duck hunting.As in what kind of decoys and how many or what type of call.I hunt mostly public land around Sioux falls and Hamlin,Brookings.I have figured out so Far that Waders will be one of the first things.Any Info anyone could suggest would be great. :thumbsup:
camohunter
Newb

Postby wigeon man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:25 pm

if i were you i would start to scout around if i could and see what the most common ducks are in your area and from there i personally like greenhead gear decoys so i would buy a dozen or more of those and the thing you need to do when setting out decoys is to make sure you dont place them close together,spread them out away form each other but make a couple of pairs of deeks too
I support PETA...People Eating Tastey Animals
wigeon man
hunter

Postby camohunter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Yea so far mostly I've been shooting Mallards and a few Teal.
camohunter
Newb

Postby wigeon man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:36 pm

ya then you should look into buying about a dozen and if you want more mallards and half dozen of whatever teal your shooting and when you lay them give a little gap in between the two types check out some of these decoys spreads http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Decoys/111/DecoyLandingPage.html
wigeon man
hunter

Postby camohunter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:39 pm

Ok Thanks what do u recommend for a duck call.
camohunter
Newb

Postby wigeon man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:41 pm

sorry im not too good on the calls
wigeon man
hunter

Postby wigeon man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:42 pm

sorry im not too good on the calls
i just rely on how good i place my decoys
wigeon man
hunter

Postby camohunter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Ok thanks on the decoy advice though good hunting. :thumbsup:
camohunter
Newb

Postby wigeon man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm

you too
wigeon man
hunter

Postby SDwaterfowler » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Some places should have dekes on clearance soon as the season is coming to an end. Check your non-hunting "specialty" stores like Ace, Kmart, etc. Wal-Mart was selling hot buys last week for $15 per dozen, although I wouldn't touch a hot buy with a ten foot pole. For ducks and geese I use all G&H dekes. These are good quality, last a long time, and look realistic. Unfortunately, they aren't the cheapest. But if you are just starting you could go with something cheaper just to get a spread started. I have hunted over some really old decoys that had almost no color left on them and did just fine. Being in the right place is more important than having the best looking dekes. As for species, around here you will find a little bit of everything depending on what part of the season it is. This year alone I have seen many mallards, pintails, redheads, goldeneyes, buffleheads, gadwalls, green and blue winged teal, widgeon, canvas backs, spoonbills, and bluebills. All of your puddle ducks and some of your divers will decoy just fine to mallard decoys. Having different species of dekes might help but to start out I would just go with all mallards.

As for calls, I have found that a call is not something you want to be cheap on. I have gone through a lot of cheap calls and didn't really know what I was missing until I finally got a decent one. You can get some good sounding calls in hard woods like diamond wood and cocobola for a fair price. I have an Echo Timber in cocobola/poly that I got for $45 and it is worth every penny. The good thing about the nicer calls in the displays at stores is they aren't in packages so you can blow them to hear how they sound before you buy them.

For waders, I like my Cabela's breathables. They are nice and cool for those 80 degree days but still warm enough with a couple layers of clothing on those 0 degree mornings. My brother has the real thick neoprenes and he gets too hot on the hot days.

Another thing you will need is a camoflauge jacket. To start out with, I would look for something light and waterproof that is a 1-2 sizes larger than you wear. This way you can wear it in any condition and be comfortable. You can wear it over a short sleeve shirt on a warm day or wear it over 5 layers of shirts in sub-zero temperatures.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby camohunter » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Thanks Alot for the Info this was what I was looking for If I should just start out cheap or just get something good to begin with and save money in the long run.Sportsmans warehouse had some avery Mallard decoys 19.99 for a dozen.
camohunter
Newb

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:54 am

Those decoys are the "Hot Buys", they are good for the price. They will get ducks to come in.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby SDwaterfowler » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:16 pm

Yup, sounds like the hot buys. Should be some good dekes to start out with if you want to keep it cheap. If you are not in any hurry, I'm guessing you could find some on clearance in the next few weeks. I checked the Wal-marts and they are all out of the Hot Buys after they went on clearance last week. You can get your string and weights at Sportsman's. They have by far the cheapest prices on lead strap weights that I've seen anywhere but they have been out of their bulk strap weights since the beginning of the season.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting