October 07 hunting with a Jersey guy

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

October 07 hunting with a Jersey guy

Postby jon55nj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm

The South Dakota forum doesn't get a ton of action so I hope by posting this 8 months early someone will respond :)

The short: I was hoping to hook up with one of you in the Arlington/Brookings area in October 07 for some waterfowling.

The long: I have been out to Arlington the last 6 years on guided phesant hunts and love every minute out there. 3 years ago we did two days of duck hunting as well. We only shot 1 duck the whole time, but it started my interest in waterfowling which has manifested greatly in my current home state of NJ. Last year in SD I saw more ducks than ever before and I can't wait to go back this year and give em another try. I plan on bringing my own gear and hunting public land. However, I would really like to hook up with someone who knows the area and maybe has a place to go. Would be happy to pay for breakfast and shells or something, but I'm not looking to do more professionally guided hunting. Let me know if you are interested. Will be out there the week of Oct 21. Thanks.
jon55nj
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:14 am

Well the first step is to apply for out of state waterfowl liscence. And if you get one of those. I know of some places where we could smack some ducks.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Thanks - looking forward to it

Postby jon55nj » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:54 pm

I will certainly enter the non-res lotto again, last time our whole group made it without complication. I hope it works that way again in 07. Although I will be the only one ducking this year.

Regardless, I will definitely be reaching out to you later in the year. Thanks.

Jon
jon55nj
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 pm

Sucks that out of state licenses are for certain areas. We slaughter em on the WEST SIDE!!
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

A few questions.

Postby jon55nj » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 am

What kind of dekes should I bring... what is a typical size spread? Will I be able to get by without a boat? Just applied for the out of state license. Thanks.
jon55nj
hunter

Postby Kurt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:41 am

I grew up in watertown and 12 to 16 mallard decoys is all i used. Lived in brookings for 2 years and used the same set up worked great. I did not have a boat and hunted all over. A good pair of waders will get it done for you. Get one of the walk in books that shows you all the public land and scout the night before. You always seem to see a pheasant or 2 will on the gravel to. Dont live in that area anymore or i would take you out. If you get the license i can talk to my dad and get up to the minute reports for you.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby jon55nj » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks Kurt. I know I can fit a dozen dekes and the waders for the ride out.

The anticipation is building already.
jon55nj
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Hey let me know if you get drawn. I can either tell you where to go or you could come along. Pretty much the only thing you would need to bring would be waders if you get drawn. I could loan you some decoys.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

really

Postby ducksandbucks » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Penguine wrote:Sucks that out of state licenses are for certain areas. We slaughter em on the WEST SIDE!!

Where on the westside i hunted all last year and shot my gun twice and one of those was at a patridge
ducksandbucks
Newb

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting