Federal Black Cloud loads - tried em?

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Federal Black Cloud loads - tried em?

Postby huntmup » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 am

While up at a pheasant lodge guiding on Monday & Tuesday I had a chance to read an article on the Federal Black Cloud loads - and on their construction & differences - has anyone read up on them an/or used them??

They claim a huge gain in pattern density due to the wad construction - thereby increasing effective range ~10yards.

I've got a bunch of rounds to 'get through' but then I'm going to give them a shot - just wondering if anyone's tried them..

Thanks

SMO
huntmup
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:21 am

A friend was hunting ducks and geese in northern canada this year. They were crippling most of their geese. They went to the store and got the black clouds and they said they started folding the birds.
Got a case sitting in my house waiting for duck season to start.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby orange legs » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 pm

A buddy of mine let me try some early this year. I dropped a honker at 45yds deader than a door nail. So, I bought some from wildphilhicup off the classifieds on this site. That is all I'm shooting now. Personally I think they work better past 25yds. Up close I think it shoots really tight. Just my 2cents
There's nothing better than your son's first word being geese!!!
Upper Red Rock Committee Chairman DU
Buck Gardner Calls Field Staff
Dakota Decoys Staff
orange legs
hunter

Postby duckp » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 am

Frankly I was a bit disappointed in them.After some pattern testing and then half a dozen boxes 'field testing'I really did not see any advantage justifying the cost.
Regardless,buy your next years shells now-the dealer costs just took a huge rise.
Dam China is driving up component costs and sticker shock will be on big time soon.Doubt it,just ask your dealer about last weeks price increases.Find an end of the season close out and stock up.
duckp
hunter

Postby SDATVER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:17 pm

Dont think they mach the hype or the price tag. Just my personal opinion. I do just as good with Kent Fasteel as I have with any of the more expensive loads.
Franchi 912 Variomax
Winchester 1300
Browning BPS 10ga.
SDATVER
hunter

Postby duckp » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:58 am

Oh my God.In an earlier post I mentioned rising ammo prices and sticker shop.Wow,worse than I thought.Black Cloud in the local shop went from $17 a box to $28.
That ends my use forever.
duckp
hunter

Postby antdawg » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:31 pm

i know im not from the sd area but i have shot the blackclouds and yes you hit a bird and it kills it dead, but the kent faststeels are great shells and at a good price i have droped birds just as dead with 13$ a box #2 faststeels. If ur gona spen that kind of money go with a hevi-shot load.
antdawg
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting