Sad CRP days

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Sad CRP days

Postby duckp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:51 am

Well its daily getting more obvious.The plowing up of former CRP ground.Sure we 'only'lost 330,000 acres here in SoDak but now we are seeing thats a LOT!Particularly since much of the CRP is here in the NE where I live.
Lots of ground where nesting is now over.Misguided gold fever.
Times they are a changing.If you're a hunter-changing for the worse.All hunters will suffer but especially 'walk Ins'since the number/size will go down while the pressure on the remaining acreage increases.
Sad dam deal.
duckp
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:12 pm

SUPPORT THE FARM BILL is all i can say that sux though....
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Postby duckp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:08 am

Went to a county 'Soil Conservation District'banquet last nite.Here in Day County alone we lost 25,000 acres of CRP(habitat)this year.AND,much additional land is 'going out'over the next couple years.
Folks,start planning on very significantly reduced hunting opportunities here in the NE.AND,less wildlife.
A sad era has begun.
duckp
hunter

Postby duckp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:12 am

Hi again.I hate to sound like the Grim Reaper on all this but based on a comment on another forum that 25000 acres wasn't 'much'in an entire county,let me put it in perspective.
It comes out to about 40,YES 40,sections of land.40 sections of habitat.
Its actually MUCH WORSE cause many of the parcels were 'Walk In'areas and/or the only parcel in a section.
Doubt that this will have an adverse impact?Don't,wish you could take a drive and see it.
As was said by another poster,please support the Farm Bill which is again being considered by your congressmen and Senators right now.
Good hunting.
duckp
hunter

Postby duckp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:49 am

Well more doom and gloom I'm afraid.The latest Dakota Outdoors had a feature article on this CRP loss and its consequences.Worse than I thought I'm afraid.Even more CRP likely to disappear in the next couple years than I thought.
Also,I had hoped that the counties around me(I live in Day Co.)hadn't been hit as hard but it appears all counties here in the NE were decimated.
As hunters and conservationists we must figure out a source of funds to meet the rental/crop rates and pay more to farmers and ranchers or the future is dire indeed.Its time for our big Orgs(DU,PF,etc)to earn their keep by creating viable financial solutions and help create legislative solutions as well.Talk and 'puffing'about past accomplishments is fine if it makes leadership feel good I guess,but now its time to shut up,roll up their sleeves,and get to work before its too late.
The next time these Orgs ask for my money,they'd better have a plan to deal with this crisis or forget it.
duckp
hunter

Postby duckp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 am

Had a very interesting talk with an 'official'of one of the big Orgs.They fully realize the problem but are 'still discussing'possible solutions.(fiddling away like Nero while Rome burns in my view)
I gave him my 2 cents,start by getting the names of producers in the Dakotas and Mt who have CRP contracts expiring,approach them asap about 'bonus'payments or whatever they want to call them NOW!Wouldn't hurt to have some 'experts'put together realistic costs the producers will face in bringing their land back into production to show them either.Show them realistic fuel,fertilizer,seed and planting costs vs realistic(fluctuating) market profits and some will rethink their decisions I bet.The bonus $$ doesn't have to meet projected corn,wheat,whatever profits,just give them a more realistic return.
Continuing to lose the waterfowl production here cannot be made up elsewhere.FACT!The other FACT is it will take $$ NOW to stop it.
Call your Org reps and ask them about this.Please.
duckp
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting