Reports?

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Reports?

Postby BurnZ » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:03 am

Hows it going out there. From the sounds of some of the other threads it looks like you guys have been having a blast!!! I'm not looking for spots or anything I just wanted to know what kind of birds are in the area? Me and my dad have been going out to SD to hunt every year since we moved from there to MN (about 15 years ago). We're going to be in NE SD. Have any of the northern birds come down yet? What about the divers? we had great luck on the blue bills last year. Also with all the rain you got some of our spots in the Huron/De Smet area have water in them now. (we're headed down that way to visit some old freinds the second half of next week) Is anyone having any luck around in that area.

This week can't get over fast enouph. We're coming out on saturday. I hate the week before we leave it always seems like the longest week of the year.

Thanks for any info guys :thumbsup:
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

A few pics of our hunt this year in SD.

Postby Dolsmi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:06 pm

This years So Dak non-res waterfowl season Oct 19-Oct 28.
We hunted the area from De Smet to Clark, scouting every day and just before dark, many miles on the truck, hunting new fields daily.
Our goal, we attempted to only shoot drakes, widgen and gadwalls. (We did however shoot on a few hen mallards)
We had an fun awesome year, mainly field hunting in layout blinds in picked corn fields with my Dad and best friends.
We took turns, sitting out and filming these hunts and the footage on a couple of the hunts is unbelieveable. (Or at least that's what we think about the footage)
As well, we did shoot a few Honkers, sorry no pics, but our main goal was ducks, jokes, fun, friends and a few drinks to celebrate after the hunts were done.
Already looking forward to next year.

Dolsmi
hunter

Postby Waterfowlslayer5 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:48 pm

i have definatle have not had any problem shooting ducks geese or pheasents.. The field i hunt tomorrow has over 2000 geese in it and i cant wait...I been shooting the hell out of the mallards in the milnbank through webster area and pheasents right now r everywhere....I cant wait till first snow when more birds show up...I bet ive shot over 40 geese, 60 ducks, and 20 pheasents all already and cant wait to get more
Waterfowlslayer5
hunter

Migration Mapping

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:36 am

In checking out the GPS Satellite mallard tracking, there is small portion of the migration coming through northern So. Dakota right now.
http://waterfowl.cast.uark.edu/
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:02 am

Thanks guys thats just what i wanted to hear. And there's Snow in the forcast for next week!!! We should have some decent luck agian this year. :smile:
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:10 am

BurnZ wrote:Thanks guys thats just what i wanted to hear. And there's Snow in the forcast for next week!!! We should have some decent luck agian this year. :smile:

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:
Shoot'em in the face! :yes:
Wish I could go back out, but my 10 day license is over..
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:46 pm

I went out hunting about 20 miles north of Brookings on the 3rd, boy, not a lot as far as new ducks go. There was very few ducks actually, but there were lots of honkers. We ended up shooting 4 honkers and 3 greenheads between my dad and i. After the hunt though we scouted around and there were tons of ducks north of des smet and west of watertown, im thinking they were new birds. Its very possible that this cold weather thats supposed to be coming will push lots of birds down. this could be a good weekend boys. :thumbsup:
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:41 pm

drew_timothy wrote:I went out hunting about 20 miles north of Brookings on the 3rd, boy, not a lot as far as new ducks go. There was very few ducks actually, but there were lots of honkers. We ended up shooting 4 honkers and 3 greenheads between my dad and i. After the hunt though we scouted around and there were tons of ducks north of des smet and west of watertown, im thinking they were new birds. Its very possible that this cold weather thats supposed to be coming will push lots of birds down. this could be a good weekend boys. :thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby Waterfowlslayer5 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:54 pm

Hunted in the south shore area with 4 other guys tonight..Man what a rush..Felt like i was on a hunting show..These geese flew so low i could've shot them with 4 shot...15 geese in 45 min what a hunt!!
Waterfowlslayer5
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting