Looking to buy land

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Looking to buy land

Postby RaiderHater » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Hello South Dakota.

I would like your oppinion on where to look.

I am looking to sell some land in CO and buy some in North or South Dakota. I am looking for 40 to 200 acres. I have only a few needs.

First and formost I am looking for good hunting. Most of all we want to have a place to hunt ducks. Geese, Upland birds, Deer, Turkey, etc. are all bonuses but Ducks are what we are most interested in.

Second, we would like the land to produce some income. Being able to lease the non-wetland parts or get paid through the crp program would be needed to offset the costs.

Third, total cost of the land should be between 75,000 and 200,000. I have found 160 acre plots in that price range across North Dakota but have not researched South Dakota as much. I also don't know where the real duck hunting areas are. South Dakota is closer to home in Colorado so if I could find reasonable priced land with outstanding waterfowl hunting there, all the better.

Last, any ideas on how I could allow others to use my land but make sure it was not overhunted. I would only have the opportunity to make two or three trips a year up there and would want someone to enjoy hunting the land. I would not want to charge but would want to ensure no over hunting.

What part of the state should I be looking in? Where do the real duck hunters wish they lived?

Thanks Gentlemen,

Joe
RaiderHater
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 pm

There is one problem. Since you don't live in SD but own land in SD you still have to apply for out of state liscene as I understand it. So if that's okay with you then I know of some areas. But will tell you through pm's.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby duckp » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:41 am

Yes,just owning land in SoDak doesn't entitle you to a license.You'll have to apply annually for a 3 or 10 day license.(these 10 day ones can't be split either-likely not an issue if coming that far but is an issue in terms of possession limits etc)
It appears from what is happening to my friends that you will not get a license about every 3rd year.(not scientific-just experience over the last 6 yrs or so)Thats a bummer but its fact.NoDak less restrictive.
There is good waterfowl hunting in many parts of SoDak but if interested in the NE,PM me and I might be able to help.
duckp
hunter

Postby RaiderHater » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 am

With the restrictions placed on non-residents I think I will look more seriously at N. Dakota.

Thanks for the Info Gentlemen.
RaiderHater
hunter

Postby duckp » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:02 am

Based on what happened to some Wi guys I recently met,the same restrictions really apply to non-residents regarding deer.Under the present system they as non-res landowners will never get a rifle buck tag east river.
You are doing it the right way by checking all aspects out in advance.
Good hunting.
duckp
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm

yea im from new york and got my 1st experience of sd duck hutning this year it was friken amazing but i think the lottery system is so pointless omg !
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting