question about a hunting lodge

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

question about a hunting lodge

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I was wondering if any has hunted at the little river lodge up around stratford, over by aberdeen. just curious about them for pheasant hunting, may travel up that way to hunt this fall, been awhile since i hunted in south dakota, trying to figure where to go, and they have good package prices..
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm

You might do just as well to drive up, get a hotel, and hunt public land. There are a lot of birds on that side of the state. I just, like 10 minutes ago, had a kid call me that is driving across the state and ask is it normal to see so many pheasants and grouse on the side of the highway. LOL.. Going to be a good year. He said they are all over the interstate. I went to Philip last year a couple times and limited on birds, public land. Had a friend go to Martin and limit each time on public land. Right now there is so much good public land that I do not think I would drop the $$ to hunt private.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:30 pm

It all depends on what you want. If you want meals and a no hassle trip then get a guide. But if you want to make the plans find the area to hunt then diy hunt is the way to go. i live in mobridge and there is a ton of public land here that is great but is a little harder work to get the birds than if you go with a guide. This is going to be a banner year for birds if we get a little moisture at the right time. There are alot more hunters around aberdeen then mobridge so the public land gets a little more presure than over here, lived in aberdeen last year. But from what i have seen and heard you wont be disapointed booking a hunt with little river looks like a great operation.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Little River happens to be a DHC Sponsor. I at least suggest that you contact them and feel free to ask them questions. http://www.littleriverpheasanthunts.com/

Lodges do fill a segment of the market where hunters like a full service hunts. And I think they have combo hunts, so you can bag more the 3 wild pheasants a day, as duck or geese in AM with rooster in the PM. Nothing like shooting up a bunch of birds in morning and in the afternoon and eating them that night :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting