Deadwood Information

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Deadwood Information

Postby jon mcgrath » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Me and my wife are planning on going down to deadwood this next summer for a little honeymoon. i'm active duty air force so i'll be staying at ellsworth afb for lodging. but i just wanna know what is there to do around the town. and if all goes well i may put in to get stationed there. so if you guys have any information about that area i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm

there is all kinds of stuff to do in deadwood, gamble is what alot of people do but the whole area is nice and there is fishing and hunting of all kinds. In the winter you can get some good snowmobiling to. If you come to SD be prepared to move it is great.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Have anything specific you want to ask? I curerntly live on Ellsworth (Active Duty).

The area the base is in, Box Elder, isn't the best around but it is growing. Houses cost anywhere from 75,000 for crap up to $250+. I am currently having one built in a new sub-division for $155,000.

Rapid City is decent enough, and with Cabelas opening this year it will have everything you need as a sportsman. Scheels is opening a larger store across the highway.. hope for lower prices due to competition.

Deer hunting in the hills and prarie is excellent. Antelope is excellent, birds, you guessed it... excellent. Fishing, yep, excellent.

As stated, lot of gambling in Deadwood. You would also be fairly close to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, the list goes on.

Like I said, if you have any specifics you want answered feel free to post em up here or PM me. I have lived on this side of the State (Ellsworth) since July 2003. Originally from Michigan and like it enough here to buy a house and retire in a couple years.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 pm

penguine, i tried sending you a pm. let me know if you got it. i just had a couple more questions on the base and the local area
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:02 pm

I got your PM Jon, not a problem. I will answer your PM and also shoot you an email from work tomorrow.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting