hunting around newell?

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

hunting around newell?

Postby paduckkiller » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I am looking at some land around Newell and I wanted to know how the duck and goose hunting is around there. I looked at SD on Map Quest and it looks like all the water is in the eastern part of the state. Is there any water around this area to hunt, and what other game is there to hunt in this part of the state.

Thank You
paduckkiller
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Well I have no idea where Newell is. Do you know of a bigger town it's next to. And just a little fyi. If you plan on hunting waterfowl in South Dakota as a out of stater it is done by lottery. Don't know when the drawing for it is. But it's coming up soon. So you better put in for that before you plan your trip
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby paduckkiller » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 am

Newell is north of Rapid City, above Sturgis. I am looking to buy some land there. If I buy land in SD and do not live there do I still have to get into the lottery or can I buy a license? Thank You.
paduckkiller
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 am

Yes if you own land but are not living in sd you will need to apply for the lottery licencse. But you dont have to worry about that because the only thing you will be hunting around newel is antalope or mule deer. Maybe some sheep because i think when you drive through there it is the sheep capital of the world or some thing like that. I was wondering what would make you want to buy land out there? Dont get me wrong there is some great country out there but not for waterfowl and it is hard to get out of state big game licencse for bucks. But if you get it and want a game manager maybe i can help you out with a little selective harvest.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby paduckkiller » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 am

OK Thank you very much. When I looked at it on the map it looked pretty dry out that way. I have never been in that part of SD, the deal on the land was pretty good so I thought I would check to see what the hunting situation was. I'm glad I did, I did not know about the lottery deal.
paduckkiller
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 am

There is water up there, and there are ducks up there. The Belle Fourche Resevoir (Orman Damn) is full for the first time in years thanks to all the recent rain. This translates in to a full Belle Fourche River. I waterfowl over on the West side of the State and we killed about 250 ducks and 30 geese up in that neck of the prarie, all off of a public marsh. Don't shy away just cause the East siders tell ya different.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:32 am

There is water but still from being from out of state he would have to apply in the lottery. There are alot of better places to buy land. Guess i have been out in that area antelope hunting for about 10 years and never seen alot of ducks. Would not consider my self to be from the east since i live in mobridge which i can go minutes and be west or east. Better deer and goat country than waterfowl.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting