Duck variety

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Duck variety

Postby Buckley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Rookie to SD would like some insite as to the waterfowl expected to be in NE S. Dakota the last week of Oct. and the second week of Nov.. Are public lands pounded during the week? I will have just a small setup and canoe to hunt the wetlands/swamps or potholes. How about private land access? Is there walkin areas that would offer duck hunting possibilities? I am really looking forward to spending time in MN. as usual archery hunting with my son and then heading to SD for Ducks/pheasants for a workout for my Chessie. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks from a PA native.
Buckley
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:37 pm

ok, lets see if i can help. that late in the season the public land is pretty much untouched for ducks, now pheasant hunters will be out but almost no waterfowlers. you'll probably encounter mallards, gadwall, some widgeon, a few pintails and maybe a spoonbill or two. a small setup with a canoe/ double-ender is perfect for the potholes around there and im pretty sure you wont have a problem finding a decent hole on public waterfowl production areas. hope this helps... good luck!
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby Buckley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks, will private access be difficult? I really appreciate your help, thanks again!
Buckley
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 pm

I dont think so, some farmers lease their land out for pheasant hunting, but just ask around with the farmers, most of them wont mind letting you shoot some ducks. ive never had a problem with waterfowling on private land. and you're very welcome! anything to help a fellow waterfowler
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 am

Buckley wrote:Thanks, will private access be difficult? I really appreciate your help, thanks again!

I've lived in eastern So Dak for a few years and have been duck hunting there for about 25-30 years.
The farmers/land owners actually do not mind duck hunters. Just make sure to ask and let them know you're duck hunting and are not pheasant hunting and you will have a great time.
As for hunting in late October/November we have found that field hunting has been extremely productive. Most years the northern flight is just about to start around that time (Not Last year though)
We are going out those 2 weekends as well around the De Smet to Willow Lake area, and will be concentrating on picked corn fields with many miles of scouting to get best results.
Good Luck!
Dolsmi
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting