Brookings waterfowl

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Brookings waterfowl

Postby KDcustomcalls » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I recently moved to brookings from minnesota to attend SDSU. I am a very avid waterfowler and bow hunter. Ive never hunted SD and am looking for a fellow waterfowler to show me the ropes on the area. any advise or whatever would be awsome
thanks
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:39 pm

There is lots of waterfowl in the area. The tough thing about Brookings is getting permission. With the college there are tons of guys that hunt the area. Best bet is to go north. There is less pressure. Have heard from farmers east of Brookings that there are geese there, but I have never hunted for geese that direction. Going south is another good way to go. Most people go west and to the north when they hunt. I've had good luck going south.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby KDcustomcalls » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:57 pm

thats what i figured with the college being there, another question is in minnesota it is legal to hunt any water that comes up to the road is that the same case in SD? I actually live in volga and was looking at the public land acess atlas and noticed quite a bit of water west were 14 t's off and you go north to arlington, is that area hit pretty hard? Is there alot of last season diver action on the bigger lakes around here?
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Yes it's legal to hunt the water, but you have to be careful. Because if your decoy line and weight touch the ground underneath then you can be sited for tresspassing. Just better to try and get permission. There is a nice small lake large slough to the north of Oakwood I'd try for divers. Otherwise Thompson is your best choice. But ther is alot of people that hunt that for divers late in the year. That's about a 45 min drive to the west on 14. Any area that is within 30 miles will get hit hard early. But after pheasant opens up, there isn't much compatition.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby KDcustomcalls » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:34 pm

do you know of any public land not to far worth bow hunting?
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Oakwood state parks
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

brookings

Postby hunterduck » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:58 pm

my son lives in Volga he is a Senior at S.D.S.U. hunts ducks 24/7 P.M. me I will give you his cell
hunterduck
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:50 am

Your son wouldn't be Kacey would it
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

brookings

Postby hunterduck » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am

Maybe
hunterduck
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:22 am

Well if it is. He went snow goose hunting with me and my old roommate. He was pretty much my neighbor.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

brookings

Postby hunterduck » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:04 am

Same guy, are you still in school ? Casey has 3 classes this fall then he will be done.
hunterduck
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:40 am

Yeah, I just started school in Sioux Falls. Took a couple years off to find out what kind of work I liked. My roommate Scott is the one that knows your son better than I do. I just hunted with him the one time.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby foldem_up_mn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 am

ya i also moved out here from minnesota and my best suggestion is to start knocking on doors almost all teh farmer are really nice and if people are hunting they are nice about it and if your really lucky like we got this year u will find some ppl that actually only let kids from sdsu hunt...adn if ppl do have permission it prolly only for a few days adn u might be able to hunt it at a later date like a field we have lined up for tonight we just have to ask before we hutn each time to see if anyone is hunting thats my advice from a fellow minnesotan
If its green i'll hit it
foldem_up_mn
hunter

Postby KDcustomcalls » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 pm

does SD have plat books or somthing similar, and if so were can i pick one up for this area
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 pm

I believe you can buy them from the county extension office. I believe they're going to run you 45 per county. I have a brookings county one if you want one. It's a couple years old. I get them for free since my family owns land.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby KDcustomcalls » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:58 pm

free sounds better then $45 . i checked out a WPA's today, seems to be a decent # of teal and some mallards around, i guess i will have to see how many still have ducks on them after the youth hunt.
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 pm

There aren't very many people that take kids out for youth hunts that I know of. So you should be okay. A little tip if you're going to hunt public on opener. Get out there early. Like 2 am and if more than yourself is hunting said place, have them drive as well. It seems if people see more than one car at a place they won't set up there as well. What county are you planning on hunting for opener?
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Brookings

Postby hunterduck » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm

KD did you get a hold of Casey I sent you his Cell. If not let me know
hunterduck
hunter

Postby KDcustomcalls » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 pm

probaby brookings county, i dont no if im going to go out are not. i dont even have all my decoys here yet there still in MN so i have them for the MN opener on Oct. 4th. so i would have to buy a dozen but i think im just getting anxious and a little greedy. i . would be by myself if i went but i was just hoping to get a few shots in, but its probably not worth it if the public fills up that fast.
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm

I dont know if private is the best option, public is fine, i mean, they both have their ups and downs, but theres so much public stuff to hunt and early on there are so many local birds. i usually go to the sinia/volga areas and kill lots of ducks, also north is really good, kinda the estilline area. just get out and find a good spot. after opener and during pheasant hunting there is hardly any preasure for those public duck holes. just my 2 cents.
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby stretch415 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:11 am

Im hoping to smack a few around the Sioux Falls area but will probably go north too due to the amount of people around here.

We have alot of mallards and geese here in Harrisburg that fly over my house every morning/night.
stretch415
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting