Aberdeen Area Report

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Aberdeen Area Report

Postby Claymore » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:39 pm

I have been out 5 times this year with low to good success rate. hunted all public ground no private. mostly with in a 20 mile circle of Aberdeen. More Teal around then anything. Had real good luck with Mallards and Gadwall on an area called Putney Slough just 20 miles north east of aberdeen. we took a boat in to get to a good area with trees to sit in. just thought i would give my small report. good luck all.
Claymore
hunter

Postby Claymore » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:50 am

Went out twice this weekend. First time was sunday the 12th took a one hour trip from Aberdeen just west of Watertown. Alot more birds flying down around there. Got my limit with in an hour of sun up. 2 teal one hen mallard and to drakes. Lots of mallards around there. Also saw 4 pintail's after the hunt. Went out this morning just 10 miles south of Aberdeen on public ground and got 3. I took my 8 year old son with me and he started getting cold so we came home early. Will really bundel him up next time. Got 2 teal and a gadwall. Only say a group of 6 mallards and they were not interested in my deeks at all. I will continue to post my progress as the season goes on hope it helps others.
Claymore
hunter

Postby Claymore » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:17 am

Went out on the weekend of the 15th. Was able to get 2 groups of gadwall to come in on a small part of the creek south of town. Didnt really see anything else flying. Had one more bird pass over got up to shoot and click. Had three more no fires on cheep remington ammo. No more of that for me. Sun was 25-35 mph winds with gusts to 40. It was great the best hunting Ive had in the abeerdeen area this year. I could not keep them out of my deeks. I was done by 850. With a lot of no shooting cause my first bird was a hen mallard and i could not tell the rest tell it got lighter. I ended up getting one hen mallard a drake mallard one gadwall one green wing teal drake in his full winter outfit. Beautiful bird and a ring neck duck. I went to get the teal out of the reeds anout 30 yards from my set up, im looking around and finally find him I turn around and there are 30 gadwall siting in my dekes. I was so sumb founded I didnt even no what to do it was crazy. This is where I had one of the no fires. Not happy but it got to extend my hunt by 15 min other wise i would of been done. Good luck all.
Claymore
hunter

Knocked em dead

Postby roger5828 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 am

Four of us from Maryland came out the the Aberdeen area and hunted 5 days from the 25th through the 30th and let's just say my 870 needs a good cleaning. Thanks to all the SD locals for the insight and advice.

Over 50 total ducks and over 10 different species....great hunt!!!
roger5828
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting