Duck numbers????

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Duck numbers????

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Hey guys was wondering how your duck migration was looking?? In Missouri our season opens in 2 weeks and was wondering what the duck forecast in your area was. Been hearing alot from ND that the ducks are alittle early this year was wondering how it was in SD???

Thanks for any info
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby verg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 am

no big numbers around yet...but they are starting to trickle in
verg
hunter

Postby DeadEye81 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Many ducks have moved south, how far, I am not exactly sure. I have a small waterfowl guiding service I operate and in the early part of this week when the low temps were dipping pretty good, a good number of gadwalls, teal, wigeon, and woodducks left the northcentral part of the South Dakota.
The good news is that yesterday I spotted a couple, large flocks of Snow geese up by the NDakota/SDakota border. Coincidentally, a group of mine shot 30 northern mallards this morning in a cut cornfield with a butt load of decoys. Right now in northcentral SoDak, if there is a cut cornfield and water not too far from each other, you can really put the steel to them.
As far as any migration news, expect a fair number of birds to make it down your way within the next week or week in a half.
Good luck and remember, the only good spoonbill is a dead one!
DeadEye81
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks for the info Deadeye. Figured this cold snap would move some birds!!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

SE South Dakota

Postby Duckhntr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Starting to see bigger numbers of ducks ,Mostly gadwells and some mallards,seen a few redheads and Cans around which is odd for this area!! I was in norht central SD chasing Roosters Over the last week and seen big numbers of divers on alot of waterholes. It looks like the weather here and up north is starting to cool off we had Ice this morning!! Should start seeing bigger numbers!! GOOD LUCK DOWN SOUTH!!!!
Duckhntr
Newb

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting