Fall SD Snow goose hunting

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Fall SD Snow goose hunting

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:44 pm

I done did it now... :mrgreen: I got a 10 day lic, anyways, I am thinking I may use a part of the time to go after the Snows. I am familair with the spring flights, but it has been my experience the the fall flights are not on the same flight paths, so I am SOL on fall routes in SD. So if any of you residents have any suggestions for the fall, maybe PM me if you don't want to post about it on the forum.

BTW, when is the SD deer season? I and land access would be hard to come by for field hunting.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:13 pm

It wouldn't be that hard to find snows just have to drive around.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:03 pm

Also looks good for road hunting(pass shooting over road right of ways) so far, being its near impossible to find a field geese are staying in simply because of that fact. But if you do find a field, or perhaps a spot good enough to pull some geese out of,(decoys or pass) you most likely won't have a problem with permission. Fall isn't the same as spring you just have a hell of alot more stuff to shoot.
JWG
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 pm

The fall vs spring routes for snows/blues from what I've seen aren't really that different... in the fall I generally see the birds extend out further west, but still see a lot in the same general routes both seasons.

The rifle deer seasons generally start about mid to late November... if you check out the SD GFP website, the seasons are listed. That will give you some idea if you're planning around that time.
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:43 pm

http://www.sdgfp.info/index.htm that will help you out, the routes aren't the same cause i hunt deer over by bowdle every year and in the fall there is a ton of snow geese and in the spring there is none to be found there.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:15 pm

Yep... like I was saying, they spread out further west in the fall and bowdle is quite a ways out of the area I normally hunt. If you were to draw a line from Huron to Arlington, you're gonna see good numbers of snows/blues going north or south in that corridor. That's just from my experiences over the past few years.
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:37 am

Just go down the 81 corridor. You wont have any problems finding snows and blues.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting