Opening weekend

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Opening weekend

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:13 am

Well saturday did not go as well as i thought it would. The wind blew to hard and sent the geese farther south and east in the field than we thought. But sunday shot our limit of ducks 3 of us it was a great time. Now i cant wait for this weekend antalope hunting.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:16 am

Opening day here started crappy. We could not get to where we wanted to be. Instead of going to where we knew ducks would be we went to where we thought geese might be. We got out WAY before shooting time and had to ride out a nasty storm. Then as the rain broke we grabbed out decoys and headed out. The plan was to cross the water to get to a small island. 20 feet from the waters edge we all sank to our knees in some nasty mud. I'm 6' 4", basically I was stuck in 2' of mud, had to crawl out. We could not get to where we wanted to go so we sat up about 30' from waters edge and waited. 4 hours later, 1 goose had come by. 30 minutes later the flock returns and goes wide... right over the island we wanted to be sitting on. An hour after that and we decided to pack it in, go eat, and head to the marsh. Once on the marsh we took 9 ducks. Sunday morning we went back out to the marsh and had 6 ducks down before we decided to head home. All in all not a bad weekend, but I think it would have been much better had we actually went to the marsh on opening day instead of the drying up resevoir. Oh well!
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am

Opening day went great. Was alittled worried, sinced we checked out the slough on friday night and only saw 2 ducks. But have seen as many as a couple hundred a few weeks ago. But all was well. The wind was blowing perfect for us and the ducks just kept coming. 4 of us and we limited out. And shot two banded ducks. One was a Redhead and one was a BWT. The first for all four of us. Sunday wasn't very good. 3 of us went out and i left by 8 and i only shot 2 ducks. The other two had 9, but oh well.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 am

Man opening day was awful for us. First I didn't think we wre going to even get to go with the storm...NASTY in madison. After it finally broke and we were able to get out there and setup in the same exact spot I had seen literally hundereds of ducks just three day prior. Had the first teal on the ground at 7:30 and then didn't see another bird till about 8:45. We ended up shooting four ducks and only seeing about a dozen total...I don't know what the heck happened to all the birds that were sitting there the days prior to the hunt but for some reason they decided to not come back and as of this morning still havne't come back. Very dissapointing to say the least.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:48 pm

Last night me and duckbuster and my cousin ended up with with 16 out of 18 that we needed. We got 1 mallard some teal 3 wood ducks, and some gadwalls.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting