Overworked Birds

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Overworked Birds

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Wow tonight I went out with a buddy on his first duck hunt ever. I went to a spot that I have always done great at thinking that it would be the prefect spot for him(and my pup) to get alot of action. I only had a pair of birds that would even come close to the deeks. 10 other groups wouldn't even give us a chance, as soon as they heard me call they were going the other direction. Sure I was on public ground but man how many guys were out there working the birds this weekend to make the ducks this hard to decoy already. Man this like like hunting late november ducks. I am not sure what I am going ot do this weekend.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 pm

Well, they might know that its public land because anyone can hunt them anytime on public land, which means there is going to be alot more pressure on there then private land. The ducks might know that it is public (someone is always there hunting them) so they might not go close to any other ducks.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:29 pm

Im not sure somethings up...they were landing on the other side of the pond but wouldn't even sniff my spread. Maybe I just don't sound sexy enough or something.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:19 am

You could also be calling too much, or not hiding good enough.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:59 am

Local ducks generally do not call too much, try only the greetter and feeder calls if any at all. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Sorensen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:09 pm

I have been noticing that on public land the birds seem to not land by the reeds if there are decoys. When I have been hunting they typically land right in the middle or across the slough. on private land it has been much better.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:21 pm

Ducks and geese somehow know when it is public because when I watched geese come out of the refuge last year they had to raise up another 40yds. when get started going over the fence line, into shooting areas.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:19 am

Also if they are working the spread they seem reluctant to drop lower always seem to stay about 40-50 yards high. They will circle 5-6 times and then leave. If they were just a bit lower they be dead.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:20 am

When I have had this happen on a regular baisis I would sit right in the middle of the decoys on my knees if the water was shallow enough. You have to be real still and i would have my dog wait on shore till i shot, but when your knees sink in and you swing fast on a greenwing buzzing buy you can fall and get a little wet :smile:
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting