West TN Hunting w/o permanent blind and boat

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

West TN Hunting w/o permanent blind and boat

Postby DSBR222 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Anybody know any good places to go duck hunting in west tn that doesnt require a drawn blind or a boat? Not looking for anything too deep but something I can wade in and enough area to make a permanent blind or bring my own..
DSBR222
hunter

Re: West TN Hunting w/o permanent blind and boat

Postby Itchy Coyote » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 am

Ok 1st we need to know what part of west Tn. you are talking about?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby TennesseeNW » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Not really anywhere worth hunting.
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby DSBR222 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Sorry about that. I live just outside of Clarksville, TN..I looked at Haynes WMA last year but that place isnt worth the time and hassle. Zero ducks come through there.
DSBR222
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:18 am

Save the money that you'd use on a blind and buy a cheap boat off craigslist, that'll open up alot more places that you can hunt
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby leeawalden » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 am

I have a boat with a pop up blind. I have a lot of family in Nashville and ended up buying a all game NR license for deer season so looks like I am going to be able to chase ducks there too this year. What are some good places fairly close? I will probably hunt Percy and Old Hickory a fair amount, but I wasn't able to get in on the draw this year so I guess you can just blind hop? I know going with my cousins out there when I was younger, you could climb in any empty blind after shooting time, don't know if this is still true?

I didn't meant to hijack your thread, maybe someone else can jump in here, but I remember going when I was younger up somewhere in cheatam co that was public land and it was flood cornfields, we rode a fourwheeler in there...FWIW
leeawalden
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:15 pm

leeawalden wrote:I have a boat with a pop up blind. I have a lot of family in Nashville and ended up buying a all game NR license for deer season so looks like I am going to be able to chase ducks there too this year. What are some good places fairly close? I will probably hunt Percy and Old Hickory a fair amount, but I wasn't able to get in on the draw this year so I guess you can just blind hop? I know going with my cousins out there when I was younger, you could climb in any empty blind after shooting time, don't know if this is still true?

I didn't meant to hijack your thread, maybe someone else can jump in here, but I remember going when I was younger up somewhere in cheatam co that was public land and it was flood cornfields, we rode a fourwheeler in there...FWIW

You are correct. If you sit in a blind till sunrise and the drawn person is a no show then it's yours to hunt. If they show up by then though you gotta move.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby leeawalden » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Thats what I thought, I haven't been anywhere in a while that has permanent blinds...mainly private land and open lake boat hunting...
leeawalden
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm

try Cheatham WMA too, it has permanent blinds the same as old hickory but i like it better. You can get a map of the blinds off TWRA website. It's about 30 minutes from Nashville in Ashland City
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby leeawalden » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Well if anyone ever needs another 1 or 2 guys to hunt with let me know, It would be cool to tag along with someone up at cheatham lake or old hickory since I have never hunted there by myself and my cousin who took me out there last was killed a few years back so I really don't know how to get around out there...
leeawalden
hunter

Postby Brad30110 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:42 am

Hey guys.. If any of you know a place that you can hunt out of a boat and kill some birds let me know.. I have a duck boat, but no place to hunt. I did alot of hunting around Leesville La with a ducks unlimited club, but there we had our own blinds year round. I currently live in the Clarksville area. I thought about trying just hunting the Cumberland river near cross creeks and hope to catch birds moving in and out of the refuge. As of Nov 14 elk harbor was loaded with geese and ducks! If you any has more info or wants to hunt let me know.
Brad30110
Newb

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting