Nashville Duck Hunting?

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Nashville Duck Hunting?

Postby gvshwf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm

I just moved to Nashville from central Missouri and need some advise on Tennessee duck hunting. Apparently the draw system is different down here. Back home everyone showed up in the morning and hoped to draw a pool to hunt for that day. If you draw a blind here do you get it for the whole season? So if you dont get drawn early, then your out of luck for the entire season? Is there any walk-in hunting where you build a make-shift blind for the day? Whats the best local spots to kill ducks? I haven't heard many good things about duck hunting around here. Any experienced local hunters have room in their blind for an area new guy. I'm a little concerned that the Nashville area comes up short on good duck hunting. Any help is appreciated.
gvshwf
Newb

Re: Nashville Duck Hunting?

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 pm

When you get drawn, you're drawn for the whole season. If you don't get drawn, any blind not occupied by sunrise is yours for the taking for that day. You can also email TVA and the Army Corps of Engineers and get maps of their public land open to hunting in your area. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:53 pm

preacher is right.....go to the twra website and get a printoff of the maps with blind locations and conditions. i went to several last year that you can drive to and sat and waited to see who was going to the blinds. I got the blinds to myself or with a friend pretty often. I am also new to this area but I have linked up with some great guys and we got a great blind at the drawing. Network this year and remember that the drawing is the first sat in august. save your leftover wood and building supplies because you will need to fix the blinds up in august- september. good luck
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby gvshwf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Is there a record of how many ducks are killed at each blind each day or year? Does anyone know the good, decent, or really bad blinds especially on Old Hickory? I don't want to waste my time on blinds that wont even see ducks. Surely there are parts of the lake that fall in those catagories? Also, is hunting allowed every day from sun-up to sun-down?
gvshwf
Newb

Postby relocatedduckman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm

It all depends on which part of OH you want to hunt.. Also the top 10-15 blinds will be hunted on a very frequent basis. I'd say for OH unit 1- 0,28,18,35,27,29,73,40,41,50,55-Open 7 days a week.. Sunrise-3pm
OH unit 2- I've only hunted one blind it was blind 16.. had a good goose and coot shoot..7 days a week, Sunrise-Sunset
OH unit 3- Boat blinds only.. Had some nock out days up there. I'd bring the bow or muzzleloader during deer season as well. 7 days a week, Sunrise-Sunset

I've also hunted some on Percy Priest and shot Geese and diver ducks. It's good when its cold..

Cheatham- You have 2 wade in areas that you can kill ducks at. 1 you need a boat to get to and the other you can walk into.. Always be aware of the water.. There are downed logs and SNAKES.. Losts of them.. The blinds are harder to hop here.. They are open Wed,Thurs,Sat, Sunday

I hope this helps.. I live in Donelson.. if you ever wanna go.. Give me a shout.. I may not slaughter them.. But I try.

Hope this helps
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby RyanHurd » Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 am

I"m new and unfamiliar with public hunting around MT. Looking for anyone more versed than I am to tag along with this fall and winter. I live in nashville and am willing to help repair blinds and whatnot to get around more duck hunters.

r.
RyanHurd
Newb

Postby PiKappCutter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 am

@relocatedduckman I use to hunt the WMA down around Woods with my older brother when I was younger. Is it anygood now. We hunted around Sinking Hole but never the big water. I live in the Boro and want somewhere to go when Priest and the Hick aren't delivering. Never one to ask for spots but don't wanna waste my time scouting an empty lake. Thanks for any help because when the birds aren't in Tn I migrate to Alabama and that's killer on a student's bank account...and GPA.
PiKappCutter
hunter

Postby luckyhat12 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

Relocated and Ryan,

I just moved over to Donelson a couple months ago and am still looking for places to go. I only have about 4 weekends to hunt in TN this whole season. I was thinking about riding out to Percy Priest on saturday after daylight to ride around in my old boat and see what I can see.

I have a chance to hunt in a blind on Old Hickory later in the season but not at this part of the season.

If you guys want to get a cup of coffee or hit up the skeet range and talk ducks sometime let me know.
luckyhat12
Newb

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting