wanting to hunt reelfoot

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

wanting to hunt reelfoot

Postby fowlgunner935 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 pm

A buddy and I are looking at making a trip down and hunt reelfoot. But we dont know where to begin. Is this a draw if so how does the draw work? We will be travleing from a ways away. It isnt our first rodeo duck hunting. Do we need a boat or do we have to use their boats? Is there some one we can contact with questions? any help would be great thanks
fowlgunner935
hunter

Re: wanting to hunt reelfoot

Postby Cootshooter3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 am

They have a draw the First Saturday in Aug. for 50 Blinds. You can bring your boat and after legal shooting times get in any blind that No one is in. You can hunt it for the day. The Big and important thing is to wait for legal shooting time. You want need any decoys . Most blinds leave there decoys out all season. Bring you a heater and I tell most to look for a open water blind. You can kill all types of ducks in those. There is some grass holes but you need to know the lake to find them. Then again listen to where there is alot of shooting and move toward it. Try to find a blind that way. I would try to stay in Samburg. I put my people at South Shore. But there are other motels also. Maybe this will help some.
Shriners Helping Kids Defy the Odds
Cootshooter3
hunter

Postby fowlgunner935 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 pm

that helps a ton man we are just looking to see new area insteady of the usual trip to arkansa and would rather do it on our own wether we kill a duck or not its about having fun. any other info would be greatly appreciated
fowlgunner935
hunter

Postby jimmyp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Im the buddy. haha, when is a good time to go? ive heard that the later the better.... weve always gone to arkansas the week after christmas and I was thinking that might be a good time to go. When you go to these blinds do you just tie off to the blind or is there a radius of the blind that you have to be in? what about timber? hunting the timber is part of the appeal of going down.....
jim
jimmyp
hunter

Postby lablover0929 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 am

Guys, these blinds in respect have been in place for many years! These are the original "hunt all day with conveniences" type of blinds. When they put out decoys, they are counted by the dozen but by the hundreds. Some blinds will put out 1,000 or more decoys.
This world of Reelfoot is totally diferent, where the highball is king. All the blinds have a pull thru like garage, or what we call a boat hide. And as a out of state hunter without a guide, you better be careful. The residents don't like out of state hunters, and somewhat run the town and the lake.

Later is better, but you never know what weather we will get. New years week last year started a 2 week freeze up, and we had some backwater already. Then the thaw came, and we got more backwater, and was the highest I had seen it during the season in very long time. So, you just don't know what your going to get.
TEAM YELLA DAWG
lablover0929
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:39 am

lablover0929 wrote:And as a out of state hunter without a guide, you better be careful. The residents don't like out of state hunters, and somewhat run the town and the lake.

What do you mean by that? I had also kicked around the idea of taking a self-guided trip down with some buddies, and the idea that you can hunt any blind that isn't occupied after shooting hours sounds very appealing... Is hunting pressure usually pretty high later in the year?
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:28 pm

the whole hating out of staters thing is not as bad as it used to be. they still run people off and get in arguments but id say 80% of the time it was because someone did something that anyone out there would be pissed off. if you go during the week u can blind hop pretty easily. u hear alot of shooting towards one end or see alot of birds going a certain direction then head that way and look for blinds with no one in them.

as far as free lancing i would blind hop. but i dont believe i would ever take a boat and decoy hunt from a boat blind
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby wratliffky » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Just don't crawl in our blind, course you won't have to worry we'll already be there. :lol:
wratliffky
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 am

never did understand the logic in arguing, threatning, or trying to run off someone with a shotgun. at the very least you might get a butt whipping, at the worst you might get shot. :no:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby cypresskneelabs » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:07 pm

What you dont understand if you dont live around the lake, is the lake provides many families incomes or suppliments there income....these blinds have been in their families for 4 generations.....in the south tradition is king, if you mess with families or traditon you will get in a fight....the blinds may be state owned but are controlled by the locals....the good blinds will always have someone in them, and if you just go riding around trying to find one to get in you will get lost, or make some guys mad....when you get back to your truck you may have cut tires if you make someone mad....you can hire guides for 125 a day..and when you consider the trouble that is not very expensive....the other thing is right now the lake is 3 feet low...if you dont know where you are you will spend the day on a stump or better yet rip a hole in the bottom of your boat.....

Folks around the lake are very friendly and will help you with anything...as long as you remeber you are in their yard...NOT yours...if you remember your a guest...you will be fine...If you act like its your right to be there because its public....well the day wont go well for you..
cypresskneelabs
Newb

Postby fowlgunner935 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:41 pm

never understood sportman fight with each other, or fighting over killing an animal!!
fowlgunner935
hunter

Postby inthebox30lbs » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:32 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:the whole hating out of staters thing is not as bad as it used to be. they still run people off and get in arguments but id say 80% of the time it was because someone did something that anyone out there would be pissed off. if you go during the week u can blind hop pretty easily. u hear alot of shooting towards one end or see alot of birds going a certain direction then head that way and look for blinds with no one in them.

as far as free lancing i would blind hop. but i dont believe i would ever take a boat and decoy hunt from a boat blind

Can you hunt the lake legally in a boat blind? If so why would you not hunt from one?? just curious
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:16 pm

If you used a boat blind you would be out there watching the permanent blinds do all the shooting. The permanent blinds are in the best spots, plus it's hard to put 800+ decoys in a boat to be able to compete with the massive spreads.
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting