Where can I hunt near Memphis?

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Where can I hunt near Memphis?

Postby Honker » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:58 pm

Just getting back into duck hunting. I live in Germantown Tennessee and my 11 yr old is interested in dropping a mallard. We crossed the Memphis Arkansas Bridge and spent the day driving around Forrest City, Wynne, Bald Knob, Hughes, and Earle ....we ventured off the beaten path and saw tons of birds....apparently finding a place to hunt is not to difficult if you have a big bank account, unfortuanately I do not....any advice on where I can hunt public land near Memphis...any hope or has it just turned into a corporate outings for the bluebloods...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks. perry
Honker
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:55 am

Welcome to the forum Honker, you might have better luck posting this request under the Tennessee forum, you will probably find more locals there....good luck!!
hankrt
hunter

in search of mallard

Postby Honker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:39 am

thanks, I will try that out.
Honker
hunter

Postby SLIM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:13 pm

Go hunt with these guys...

http://www.southernflight.net

There just up the road from Memphis in Covington, TN. Have never hunted with them, but have come in contact with one of the guides. Super nice guy. Plan on taking a trip to hunt the timber with them later this season.
"A good duck call is like a good woman. Happy is the man that finds both on his short stay on Earth."

- "Duck Commander", Phil Robertson -
SLIM
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:45 am

I guide/hunt the Weiner, Balch area.
Send me a PM.
There are a # of WMA's in the area, but most are very dry right now. They do afford some quality hunting under normal conditions. The Cache is dryer than it's been in 75 years. The folks that have water right now have been pumping it from wells, at the cost of about $25 per hour X 100's of hours, in some cases. Naturally, they are very proud of it. There really aren't that many ducks in the area, but naturally, the areas that have water, have ducks.
I would suggest investigating the WMA's. It would actually be a good time to do so with few, if any, hunters to disturb. The GW's are friendlier to folks with youngsters in tow, na dcan be very helpful in pointing out the more productiive locations. Take a weapon, you might stumble onto a pothole or jump a few in a wet spot and pray for rain.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:27 pm

Drive a long any part of N 240 and look for any holes along the way. I hunt more in side the 240 than any other place last year. It may take a little walk but you can get to the right hole and kill a few ducks. After about 9:00 they will all be gone but it is fast when they do show up.

I have gotten up killed my ducks and be at wrok by 8:00 most days. Don't know how it is this year. I will start hunting them around Memphis frist of the year.

I have been hit other spots so far this year. Not many ducks that I have seen yet.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

www.itchyoutdoors.com

catch me if you can
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Postby hunt-chessies » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:14 am

honker i can't help you but i was wondering if you could help me. I'm considering moving my family to memphis area with germantown being high on my list but we don't know alot about the area...... would you mind if i PM you some questions, non duck hunting things like schools, neighborhoods, jobs, ect???
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting