Retiring/Moving to TN

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, Itchy Coyote, duckbumm, duck slayR

Retiring/Moving to TN

Postby volsquackhead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:48 am

Hello,
This may be off the proper protocol of forum posting, but I have been doing research on this subject for some time. I am currently serving in the military and will be for the foreseeable future till I retire. After my 20 years or if I get out earlier for some reason I have my heart set on moving to Tennessee. I have been duck hunting all of my life and it is my passion so what I am looking for is a general area to move to don't really care where it is and location for a job does not matter cause I will be able to address that later. Here are some things I am looking for: public land, leases, GOOD hunting, and reasonable distance to Arnold AFB (not a must just a preference if possible). Any help would be much appreciated because after this tour I am planning on doing recruiter duty so I would like to scout out "the area".
http://www.fowlgrunt.com
Toxic Calls Field Staff
volsquackhead
hunter

Re: Retiring/Moving to TN

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:30 pm

I don't know about that base, but if you want to be close to the action when it comes to duck hunting in Tennessee, you gotta be in West Tennessee!
RedEyed Duck
hunter

Postby volsquackhead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Arnold AFB is in Tullahoma which from what I understand will not be an option considering where the good hunting is at. I am just needing some general areas so I can start looking so I have an idea like how far west, cities, counties anything will help.
Toxic Calls Field Staff
volsquackhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm

volsquackhead wrote:Arnold AFB is in Tullahoma which from what I understand will not be an option considering where the good hunting is at. I am just needing some general areas so I can start looking so I have an idea like how far west, cities, counties anything will help.

As far west as you can possibly go. The farther east you go, the worse the duck hunting gets. Plus, if you're far west you're right within traveling distance of the Mississippi Delta.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Can I ask why you want to be by AEDC? Is it cause of the commesary or what? This base is not like any others. They dont' have fuel stations, Commesary's.. ect that a normal base would have.. and it is near woods resevour.. not a bad place to hunt if you like to shoot 50 birds a year.
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby volsquackhead » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 pm

[quote="relocatedduckman"]Can I ask why you want to be by AEDC? Is it cause of the commesary or what? This base is not like any others. They dont' have fuel stations, Commesary's.. ect that a normal base would have.. and it is near woods resevour.. not a bad place to hunt if you like to shoot 50 birds a year.[/quote

See didn't know that that is why I ask these questions lol, but yes whats the point of having benefits if you can't use them. Like I said though it is not that important I am more interested in a good place to live and good duck hunting.
Toxic Calls Field Staff
volsquackhead
hunter

Postby Cootshooter3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 am

In West Tn. you have Fort Campbell KY in the north. Its near Clarksville TN. Or Memphis Naval Air Station near Memphis in the south part of the state. They have it all. Duck Hunting and Deer hunting is Good in this part of the state. Plus you have Ky Lake , Barkley Lake and Reelfoot in the west.
Shriners Helping Kids Defy the Odds
Cootshooter3
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Like everyone else has said west, TN is the best but there are options in Mid TN too. The big lakes in Middle TN are hit or miss, mostly miss but ducks can be killed here, I usually go around Dover, TN on the Cumberland River when I stay close to home. If I were moving here I would go to NW, TN to get the most options. You'll have Reelfoot, Tigrett, Gooch, Obion ,TN River, etc. And you're close to MO and AR
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 pm

As far as I know, the Millington base can do everything for you any other base can. Have some retired Army friends who take advantage of the benefits there when they are in town.

If you want to duck hunt in Tennessee, the closer to the MS river you are the better. I live in southern Tipton county, work in Memphis, and hunt in E. Arkansas. The duck hunting in Arkansas is outstanding as anyone can guess. If you're moving here, close proximity to the MS river and Arkansas are a must for duck hunting. Moving to any other part of the state will yield significantly diminished returns as I understand it.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby bandedslayer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 pm

like everyone else has said west tn is the best but ill go a little further and say that northwest tn is the best. if you were to live in lets say martin, tn you are with in about an hour of a dozen or so wmas not to mention Arkansas and Missouri come spring management season. holler at me when you get around these parts and ill see if i cant show you a few places
....some people call it sky busting....i call it optimism
-Jase Robertson
bandedslayer
hunter

Postby volsquackhead » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I have it down to somewhere near Union City or Memphis. Any thoughts?
Toxic Calls Field Staff
volsquackhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 pm

volsquackhead wrote:Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I have it down to somewhere near Union City or Memphis. Any thoughts?

Don't just live IN Memphis unless you want shot.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby volsquackhead » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
volsquackhead wrote:Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I have it down to somewhere near Union City or Memphis. Any thoughts?

Lol I know that trust me I just meant more that way to be closer to MS.
Toxic Calls Field Staff
volsquackhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 am

volsquackhead wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:

Lol I know that trust me I just meant more that way to be closer to MS.

Oh, alright. Just making sure. I went to Memphis and the history there is neat. I sure wouldn't live there though. :lol3: There's a guy on the rugby team with me and he lived in Germantown outside of Memphis and it's supposed to be really nice.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm

I don't live in Memphis but I've spent quite a bit of time there, it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. It wouldn't bother me to mover there at all, some of the suburbs are very nice
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby bandedslayer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 am

i have lived in both memphis and martin which is less than 15 mins from union city if i could find a job that would pay enough i would be living in union city right now .... you are alot closer to the duck hunting up there .. i also hate memphis i work in memphis everyday but live about and hour out of memphis just so i dont have to live in memphis .... and would be happy to show you around im always lkooking for new people to hunt with just send me a message or a call nine 0 one 7 three 432 one 2
....some people call it sky busting....i call it optimism
-Jase Robertson
bandedslayer
hunter

Postby tdc_duckfever » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 am

Great info guys!

I am also considering moving to outside Memphis and working at St. Jude v/s living in Baltimore, Md. I am excited to hear ya'lls opinions of waterfowling in West Tennessee. I see Wapanocca Wildlife Refuge is about 16 miles from downtown Memphis, is that a heavy traffic area in East Ark. ? I'd still travel back up to west ky for a couple weekends of over crop hunting but sounds like west tn waterfowling could be a whole new adventure. Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge or Anderson-Tully looks like an option as well.

Also do ya'll know if the river gets lots of waterfowling traffic, some of the islands look like perfect places to spend an afternoon trying to harvest some of the diver species. I've hunted the Ohio river near the confluence with the mighty mississippi and it can be an awesome experience.

The more I investigate the more I want to be there before next fall!
tdc_duckfever
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

Ok, Memphis isn't that bad. It's like every other city in that there are areas that you don't want to live in or go at night.

If you live in a city, you probably have an area like this or maybe multiple areas. If you can help it, you don't live there. If it's nighttime, you don't go there. Memphis just has a lot more of these areas. Residents in Memphis aren't living elbow to elbow with crooks. The crooks mainly stay in the terrible parts of town.

For instance, I lived in East Memphis for about a year and a half. The house I rented from a family member would probably sell for about a half a million dollars in a good market. Everyone in that neighborhood is some sort of lawyer, doctor, corporate officer, etc. We lived down the street from a golf course/subdivision with even more expensive housing. In fact, I lived about a mile away from where John Calipari lived before he went all Judas Iscariot and went to UK.

My point is, it was an extremely nice area. It was safe to go running at 10:00 at night and I did often. Children played in the streets routinely. Women walked their babies in strollers around constantly. Yard sales were conducted weekly.

Now, drive about 5 miles south and the landscape is significantly different. You'd be skirting the edges of what we affectionately call "Orange Mound." You don't go to Orange Mound after dark and I wouldn't ever recommend going there unless you're strapped or looking to get robbed. I'm not saying that driving through the area guarantees that you'll be robbed, only that the chances are significantly increased in that area.

Downtown is also nice. We have some bums, but none are very aggressive. Downtown is heavily policed as follows: As far south as Beale Street up north to the Pinch District (Pyramid). As far east as Danny Thomas to as far west as the Mississippi River. Police also heavily police both Poplar Avenue and Union/Walnut Grove (same street) both of which run all the way to the Mississippi back through Germantown. Those roads are usually extremely safe. Go north or south of them, and the chances of running into trouble increase.

I have lived in Memphis my entire life and I have only been the subject of crime once. My truck was broken into at work. It was the product of stupid, bored, white suburban kids wanting my stereo. I have neverb een the subject of violent crime, nor have I witnessed violent crime.

All that said, I still prefer to live where I do now. Not because of crime, but because I hate the croweded city. I like the less crowded country.

Re: Germantown. It's a haven for white flight. When "white" neighborhoods started going "black," the rich, white people all moved to Germantown. They make sure that property values and taxes stay high so that no one of a lower social class can move there. While this may sound like a crappy thing to do, it works. Their police officers are so bored that they are the strictest S.O.B.'s about speeding in this part of Tennessee. They have no crime. None. Nadda. Nil. Nihilio. Their neighborhoods are pristine despite the fact that most of the houses and subdivisions are 20+ years old. Their schools system is adequate, which is outstanding considering the surroundings.

If I were to live in Shelby county, I'd live in Germantown or East Memphis. Colliverville is nice, but is going downhill fast. I'd rather live in a surrounding county though and pay less taxes and deal with fewer douchebags. I want to keep chickens in my yard too.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:20 am

im partial to the martin, union city area.. (reelfoot lake area really) lake and dyer countys are as good as waterfowling gets in Tn.

plus it is a pretty cental area for alot of good public areas..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting